• Page:

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1000-M2 (CSR) -- My next project 12 Aug 2007 08:26 #163363

• Skyman
  • Skyman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
Well, I just purchased my project for next winter! It is a 1982 KZ1000-M2. It's in fairly rough shape, and needs a lot of work, epecially cosmetic. It runs (barely), but has non-stock carbs (look like VM26s)on it that the PO just threw on there without doing any rejetting or tuning. He also had no airbox or pods mounted on the carbs (though he did give me the stock airbox).

PO said that they guy he got it from just did a top-end rebuild, including rebore to 1100 and new pistons. They did something wrong as the bike spews black smoke when it runs. I plan to open up the engine and find out just what they did in there.

The exhaust is non-stock 4-2 turn-out pipes. Chrome in good shape.

I paid $400 for the bike, and he agreed to deliver it to me later today. It's only got 15K miles on it. So I figure with some work it could make a nice bike.

West Linn, OR
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1000-M2 (CSR) -- My next project 12 Aug 2007 08:44 #163371

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Skyman wrote:

...1982 KZ1000-M2...non-stock carbs (look like VM26s)...without...any...tuning...spews black smoke when it runs. I plan to open up the engine and find out just what they did in there....

Black smoke might result from too rich fuel mixture and/or weak spark.

Would suggest checking compression, valve clearances, and ignition components (you know, all the usual stuff), and setting cam chain tension, then the float bowl fuel level, and maybe some pilot air screw adjustments, ALL BEFORE opening up the engine.

Nice bike! And hoping for you a simple, quick, easy fix.:)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

1982 KZ1000-M2 (CSR) -- My next project 12 Aug 2007 09:51 #163382

• Skyman
  • Skyman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
Patton wrote:

Black smoke might result from too rich fuel mixture and/or weak spark.

Would suggest checking compression, valve clearances, and ignition components (you know, all the usual stuff), and setting cam chain tension, then the float bowl fuel level, and maybe some pilot air screw adjustments, ALL BEFORE opening up the engine.

Nice bike! And hoping for you a simple, quick, easy fix.:)

Yeah, those are all on my list to check first. Thanks for the reminder.

Another thing I noticed this morning, as I was starting my preliminary research, was possibly something interesting with regard to the VIN number.
I looked at the specs for this model on www.Zedder.com, and saw that there were both US and Japan-made models for this year.

Here were the VIN ranges they listed:

Japan MFR JKAKZCM1vCA004701 - 004800
USA MFR JKAKZCK1vCB500001 - 502002

So, if this is correct, it looks like they only made 100 units in Japan?

I don't yet know the full VIN from my bike (won't have it until tonight), but I do remember that it definitely started with "JKAKZCM1". So, if I'm reading all this right, I have one of only 100 Japan-made M2s?
West Linn, OR

• Page: