• Page:

TOPIC:

1982 GPz750R 02 Jul 2007 12:24 #154271

• maj75
  • maj75's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ALSO POSTED IN ENGINE FORUM

Long story short, I bought a '82 GPz750R from a forum member. "Rebuilt motor" needs "carb work." I spent way too much puting the bike back together, powdercoating, painting, new parts, gaskets, etc. I did not touch the motor internals. I had WG rebuild the carbs...

After reassembling the rest of the bike I try to start it and the starter seems to slip. I tear into the bottom end only to discover that the needle roller bearing inside the roller clutch on the secondary shaft is MISSING. Another trip to Kawasaki and a new needle bearing...

The choke knob on the carbs will not pull out all the way and stick, so I do the best I can with it. I turn the engine over but it won't start... Sounds like it is too lean... I spray starting fluid into the pod filters on #s 1 and 4 and it fires up. Warn it up, choke knob pushed in. Still sounds lean to me but it runs good and pulls good. I ride it around the block a few times. So far, so good.

After running for 10-15 minutes, smoke starts to come out of the crankcase breather (small filter on hose). Then a lot of smoke comes out of the breather... I shut it down. I tried calling WG about the lean carbs and the choke, but no help there. Every time the same, starting fluid to start, runs good (but lean) and then smoke after 10 minutes or so of running. In disgust, I kicked the thing to a corner of the garage and left it sitting.

I am ready to start tearing back into this thing, but where to start? The missing needle bearing tells me someone had the engine apart, however, he must have been a complete idiot. The valve timing was right on, but I have not checked valve clearance. It sounds OK when running. The smoke from the crankcase breather has me stumped. It is clearly oil smoke. What is the likely suspect, non-seated (or just plain old)rings? Could the head be to blame. Someone offer some suggestions on where to start before I part this thing out. I have already spent way too much on this "project:(

Post edited by: maj75, at: 2007/07/02 15:25

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: