• Page:

TOPIC:

It Lives!!! Woooo! 12 May 2007 18:57 #139542

• Robjb84
  • Robjb84's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Finally, I am at a stage where I can ride the bike :D

Today included disassembling, cleaning and rebuilding the carbs, re-mounting them, synching them with the $1.55 manometer and then tinkering a little with mixture screws. With some new gas in the tank, I was good to go.

It still needs plenty of cosmetic work and im getting a loud clacking from the left side so I must have went a little nutso on the valve clearance there. Got to work on my electrics too, right hand signals not working ;)

Other than that, I decided to risk riding her home in the dark from my buddies garage in Racine to my apartment in Kenosha. Stupid I know, but I was grinning all the way home :D

Ill have to get some pictures in daylight, but i took this one just before I left:

Post edited by: Robjb84, at: 2007/05/12 21:58

Post edited by: Robjb84, at: 2007/05/12 22:00

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It Lives!!! Woooo! 12 May 2007 19:59 #139560

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Bike is looking good. I laughed at the union jack sticker on the side cover and though you were just going for the cafe racer feel. Then I saw where you were from and now it makes sence. Don't ride it too much until you get the valves adjusted correctly. That is an easy way to ruin a good valve.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

It Lives!!! Woooo! 13 May 2007 06:08 #139619

• Robjb84
  • User
lol thanks, i've got to represent the motherland ;)

Still undecided on if I should leave the tank as is or if I should put the Kawasaki logos back on. I stripped them of the paint so they are nice and shiny silver, looks kind of cool..

I'm going to have another go at the valve clearances again today, though i imagine i'll have to wait a long time for the engine to cool down before I can do that. (got to ride back to my buddies where all my tools are)

It Lives!!! Woooo! 13 May 2007 06:22 #139625

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Man you are like a hard headed squirrel. You jumped on the bike in a hurry to ride, rode it home, and left your tools. Trust me I would of done the same thing.
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

It Lives!!! Woooo! 13 May 2007 18:52 #139771

• Robjb84
  • User
Heh, hard headed squirrel indeed :) In fact, I could have caused some major problems...

I discovered why the bike was so clackety clackety... Opened up the valve cover on the left exhaust side to adjust the clearance and found the adjuster and locknut were GONE.

Went and bought a magnet on a stick and was able to salvage them, they weren't chewed up or anything so i quickly screwed it back in, set the clearance and made sure the lock nut was extra tight ;)

It Lives!!! Woooo! 13 May 2007 19:11 #139776

• tganek
  • Visitor
Robjb84 wrote:

Heh, hard headed squirrel indeed :)

Crazy Limey. We know where you live. You better start showing around here or else!

It Lives!!! Woooo! 13 May 2007 19:37 #139783

• Robjb84
  • User
Dude, crazy baby mama owns my schedule but I swear, Tuesdays at common grounds WILL happen soon. Plus we need to go for a ride! Im waiting in line for redline cycle to get me some new tyres, then i'm golden

• Page: