Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Drag Bike Setups 29 Apr 2007 01:11 #135171

• budzilla
  • budzilla's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Anyone out there drag racing their KZ? I'm interested in learning more about drag setups for the KZ1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drag Bike Setups 29 Apr 2007 08:12 #135218

• wireman
  • Visitor
what kind of drag racing?;)

Drag Bike Setups 29 Apr 2007 10:08 #135269

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Yep...there are a few of us around here who imbibe on that drug. Be careful though because once you try it, you will be addicted! Tell us what you want to know with as much info you can as to what you are looking to find out.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Drag Bike Setups 29 Apr 2007 10:19 #135279

• wireman
  • Visitor
1/8 mile,1/4 mile ? street/ strip bike,full blown dragbike do you have a class you want to run in,big motor/little motor,carbs or turbo ?.............;)

Drag Bike Setups 29 Apr 2007 19:39 #135452

• budzilla
  • budzilla's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Basically, I wanna use this bike to hone my skills in both racing and wrenching before I invest in building a bike for competition. I really don't know what, if anything, has been done to the motor of this KZ. The bike has rigid struts and the swingarm appears to be longer than stock. It's got a V&H 4-into-1 on it. I'd like to keep it street/strip for now to see how she runs. Looking for info on a two-stage clutch, ignition/two-step rev limiter, auto air shifter, and wet nitrous.

Post edited by: budzilla, at: 2007/04/29 22:40

Drag Bike Setups 29 Apr 2007 19:50 #135459

• wireman
  • Visitor
if you want to keep it streetable id say stay away from all that high tech stuff,especially a lock up clutch which an be really dangerous on a street bike.get your launch figured out and sort your chassis out before worrying about all that fancy stuff.make sure what you have in the motor before you start putting air shifters and nitrous on there,itll save you a lot of broken parts!;)

Drag Bike Setups 30 Apr 2007 15:43 #135719

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
I agree with wireman. You don't want to complicate things at this point. Make sure everything is tight and right first and then just go out, have some fun, and practice, practice, practice with what you have. The lock-up won't really help that much unless you have some HP anyway. A rev-limiter might be ok to keep from over-revving the motor though. Auto air-shifters can be dangerous if you aren't careful...along with a nitrous system(which needs a sound motor and lots of knowledge from melting it into a lump of aluminum). You will be better off running what you have the way it is to learn how to ride(it's not as easy as some make it look)and learn the basics before getting in too deep. Measure from the swingarm pivot bolt to your rear axle...stock is 20"...compare to what your swingarm measures to find out how much longer it is. Go make some runs and come back here and tell us how you did. Take it slow at first and get the basics down before trying to go fast...you'll be much better off in the long run.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Drag Bike Setups 30 Apr 2007 19:12 #135810

• themachine
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
slip the clutch and take off somewhat slow your first couple of takeoffs and gradually increase from there, you dont know what the rear tire is going to do yet.

it could hook and launch you on your back, or it could spin and make the bike go sideways down the track.
82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

Drag Bike Setups 30 Apr 2007 22:19 #135889

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Where do you live? You should go to the local track and go racing. You will have fun! Then you can see where you are at suspension wise. When you get that dialed in you can do some minor mods to the motor while still hitting the track on the weekends. You may not be the fastest but I gaurantee the riders will have more respect for you and your bike than anyone on a new bike running 3 seconds faster than you.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• Page: