Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New KZ rider in Washington 25 Jul 2006 13:09 #64613

• Tokay
  • Tokay's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just taking the time out to say hi and such; I'm glad there's such a strong rider support for this bike, because I've got a LOT of work to do on my KZ440's.

My name is Chris, and I recently acquired 3 KZ440's; not my first bike(s), but close to it. I wanted a chance to get my hands dirty rebuilding a bike so I could better fix it when it breaks. The others were going to be parts bikes, but I've really gotten attached to them, though. I was seriously considering pulling the engine from one of them for a go-kart engine, but I like them too much now!

The only problem I have with them is the fact Kawasaki didn't opt for hex head bolts on these, and I've already stripped out 2 of the phillips heads bolts trying to access the small sprocket,

Thanks for being here,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New KZ rider in Washington 25 Jul 2006 13:16 #64618

• chopstar
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Welcome Chris! To help with those stubborn screw head bolts, what you need is an Impact Driver - www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/tools.htm (top of page).

They sell them at most auto parts stores like AutoZone and the such. Pretty much a necessity when wrenching on these older Jap bikes. I got mine at AutoZone for like $15. You just whack the end with a hammer as you turn the bolt and... presto! Easy out!

Once you get them out, you might want to consider replacing them with hex/allen head stainless steel bolts - there are quite a few kits on eBay (like here: cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-KZ440-B...dZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V) - save yourself a few headaches in the future.

Good luck with the bikes.

Post edited by: chopstar, at: 2006/07/25 16:18

New KZ rider in Washington 26 Jul 2006 08:00 #64825

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Where are you in WA?
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

New KZ rider in Washington 26 Jul 2006 08:11 #64829

• Robjb84
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome man, its all about the KZ440 :) Having fun with mine and learning a lot as each day goes by. Especially thanks to all of the informative posts here!

• Page: