Mag wheels

More
18 Jul 2024 15:09 - 18 Jul 2024 15:56 #902320 by rz350
Mag wheels was created by rz350
Hi new here recently acquired a 77 kz1000 used to have one in the day. Wondering what wheels would fit,and the difficulty of going to dual disc
  • Last edit: 18 Jul 2024 15:56 by Street Fighter LTD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
    • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
    More
    18 Jul 2024 16:00 #902325 by Street Fighter LTD
    Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Mag wheels
    Welcome to KZRider
    Fresh blood is good for the site.
    I fixed your picture to be full size 
    Next time click the insert all tab to complete the installation
    Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
    Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
    The following user(s) said Thank You: rz350

More
    18 Jul 2024 16:33 #902327 by Nessism
    Replied by Nessism on topic Mag wheels
    Looks like the RH fork leg already has the lugs to bolt on a caliper.  That should make it easier...

Wheels are likely available on eBay, or, better, maybe someone here has a set they will sell?  

With a dual disc front end, you need a 5/8" bore master cylinder.  

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    • Never change a running system
    More
    18 Jul 2024 16:34 - 18 Jul 2024 16:59 #902328 by Scirocco
    Replied by Scirocco on topic Mag wheels
    You don´t need to search for an other wheel, you already have the right wheel!
    Remove the cone shaped chrome cap on the front wheel hub.
    There you will find the prepared mounting threads for the second brake disc
    You need a 5/8 MC but yours will do the same job if you bleeded the system correct.
    I use my stock Z1B MC with dual 6 piston Tokico caliper with no problems
    Early Z1 bikes have six,later Z1A/Z1B/KZ900/1000 have only four break disk mounting threads.

• Last edit: 18 Jul 2024 16:59 by Scirocco.

More
    18 Jul 2024 17:52 #902329 by sf4t7
    Replied by sf4t7 on topic Mag wheels
    Front calipers are the same for both sides, but the bracket mounting the caliper to the fork legs are left and right hand. A lot of vendors sell the caliper/bracket sets as left or right hand, but only the brackets are different.  When Kawasaki started offering dual discs they used thinner rotors than the single disc setup, but it was only for the unsprung weight.  By the time dual discs were offered most if not all used the four bolt rotors. But you can use two of the thicker early discs to match the 6 bolt patterns on your hub. Or update to the 4 bolt pattern by using a later hub and maybe axle.
    It's an easy upgrade, some guys say the braking is much better, some say it's not a big difference.  It can be like asking what oil to use  

Scotty

1974 Z1A
    welded Z1 crank
    Andrews 1X Cams
    Delkevic 4 into 1

More
    19 Jul 2024 00:09 #902334 by Wookie58

• hardrockminer
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    19 Jul 2024 03:47 - 19 Jul 2024 03:47 #902338 by hardrockminer
    Replied by hardrockminer on topic Mag wheels
    Very nice bike!  I will add to the above list of parts...you will need the dual brake line splitter that mounts in front between your forks.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
    Last edit: 19 Jul 2024 03:47 by hardrockminer.

More
    19 Jul 2024 06:57 #902344 by ronnieV
    Replied by ronnieV on topic Mag wheels
    Beautiful bike, this is the place with all the correct answers. Welcome. 

77 ltd1000 80 ltd1000 78kz1000a ,02 red zrx 12r, 94 cb1000 big one ,03 valkyrie (my couch) 65 olds 442
    The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• DOHC
    • Sustaining Member
    • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
    More
    20 Jul 2024 05:59 #902376 by DOHC
    Replied by DOHC on topic Mag wheels
    Here is a summary of what others have said and then some more details.

You mention your bike is a '77 KZ1000.  I see it has a rear disk brake, and it should have brake rotors that mount with 4-blots.

-You can mount a second front rotor on your existing hub, if you remove the chrome cover.

-All KZ1000 models between 1977 and 1980 used 4-bolt rotors, which should bolt right on. 

-But watch out.  The smaller bikes like the KZ650 used 4-bolt rotors that will also bolt on, but these rotors are smaller diameter and won't reach the caliper on your bike.

-The twin front disk models used thinner disks to save weight

-The KZ1000/750/650 models between 1977 and 1980 used calipers that all look the same and mount the same, but there are some variations both in the way the brake line enters the caliper and also the piston size.  
    Your bike has the front caliper mounted in front of the lower fork leg, which I think was only the case on the '77 KZ1000A1.  I think all of the other '77 to '80 KZ1000 models had them mounted behind.  Maybe someone will correct me.
    In any case, the hose routing and hose entry point is different for calipers mounted in front of the fork leg.
    If you can find a matched left/right set that came from the same bike it's a good chance you can make them work, but the hose entry might be a bit wonky if you mount them in front of the fork leg.
    If you can find a '77 specific caliper, and then a right side bracket, you maybe can combine the two parts to have a "correct" right side caliper for the '77?  I'm not certain.

-Twin disk models used a master cylinder with a larger bore (5/8" vs 14mm). 

-Twin disk models also have a brake line splitter that mounts to the lower triple clamp.

-If possible, it would be most convenient to find a full front brake setup take-off from a twin disk Kz1000.  That is, the MC, brake lines, splitter, and calipers.  The disks would be easy enough to get separately.

-The mag wheels from the 1977 to 1980 KZ1000 should bolt on as well.  The mags came in 18" and 19" front wheels, and 18" and 16" rear wheels.  Both 18" are a bit harder to find.  If possible, I'd stick with the same size you have now (19" front, 18" rear).

-Other models came with mags, but they are harder to adapt to the KZ1000

-I think you would need to find a rear mag wheel which includes the mag wheel sprocket carrier.  I think the spoke and mag wheel sprocket carriers are different.

-The 18" rear mag wheel bikes used the same rear caliper as you have, so that should swap over.

-The 16" rear mag wheel bikes used a different, smaller, rear caliper.  I think the rear disk was different as well.  I don't know if those parts interchange.

-The rear axle spacers could be different between the spoke and mag wheels?  I don't know.

-Again, the more complete wheel set you can get the easier it will be to swap.  If you can find a rear wheel with the sprocket carrier, axle, and axle spacers that would likely help.

-The mag wheels look pretty cool, I can't argue with that, but they are heavy.  I haven't weighed them, but I suspect the mags are heavier than the spoke wheels.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
    My dad's '74 Z1
    '00 ZRX1100
    The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Mikaw, Scirocco