• Page:

TOPIC:

Another Aussie newbie :) 11 Jun 2006 20:42 #53803

• AusZ650
  • AusZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I first spotted this forum last week but lost the link, took me all morning trying to find it again ;)

*Warning* Long story ahead, beware! :laugh:

I'm on my L's (Learner license) at the moment and have been looking for a suitable bike within our restrictions for some time now.
I figure that this is a mostly US site, so i'll go in to a bit more detail just to explain.

While on a learner or provisional license here you're not allowed to ride anything over 250cc except in some states like New South Wales where I am, which allow some bigger bikes up to 660cc so long as it doesn't exceed the 150kW/tonne limit.
They have a list of bikes here .

I'm bigger than your average Aussie (6'8" and 140kg or around 308lb for you non-metric folk ;)), so a 250 was out of the question as they're all very small and underpowered to the point at which it would probably die as soon as I started going uphill :dry:

I spotted a '77 Z650(B1) for sale last week which I just had to check out.
After taking it out twice for a ride, I decided then and there that I would buy it.
Unfortunately it's unregistered at the moment, so I couldn't ride it home. I'm trying to organise a time with my Dad to go pick it up with his trailer.

It won't take much to re-register (new battery, new 7" sealed light bulb, new rubber grips, and also want some wider mirror stalks as the stock ones only show me myself... which doesn't help).
So i'll hopefully be out on the road with it very soon.

Here's some piccies :D

i6.tinypic.com/142u7as.jpg
i5.tinypic.com/142u80o.jpg
i6.tinypic.com/142u8g3.jpg

In the future i'd like to get a new exhaust, a replacement badge for the right-hand side cover, and i've also heard the you can mount on twin front disk brakes from a different model but i'm not 100% sure. It sounds like a good mod though.

Anyway, just thought i'd say hi. I'll probably be asking you lot some pretty newbie questions as i'm more computer minded than mechanical minded.

:laugh:

Post edited by: AusZ650, at: 2006/06/11 23:44

Post edited by: AusZ650, at: 2006/06/12 00:07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another Aussie newbie :) 12 Jun 2006 03:10 #53838

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 303
AusZ650:

Welcome to KZR! There are many 650 owners in this forum and even more with advice (good or not so good:laugh: ) There is a huge amount of info in the archive section...poke around:)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Another Aussie newbie :) 12 Jun 2006 04:28 #53840

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Hail AusZ650! I thought I was the only 6'8" riding a KZ650! They are a little cramped but all in all a fantastic bike! AND you found the right place to learn and laugh about your bike. There are gurus here that will assist you in keeping that scoot running ald looking cool. She looks pretty good already! Luck with her! Enjoy the site and the ride. Duck a little when moving through new doors. I do!:cheer:

Another Aussie newbie :) 12 Jun 2006 04:29 #53841

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Hail AusZ650! I thought I was the only 6'8" riding a KZ650! They are a little cramped but all in all a fantastic bike! AND you found the right place to learn and laugh about your bike. There are gurus here that will assist you in keeping that scoot running ald looking cool. She looks pretty good already! Luck with her! Enjoy the site and the ride. Duck a little when moving through new doors. I do!:cheer:

Another Aussie newbie :) 12 Jun 2006 04:53 #53848

• wireman
  • Visitor
welcom to z-jungle.;)

Another Aussie newbie :) 12 Jun 2006 05:25 #53855

• AusZ650
  • AusZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
ambergrismooon wrote:

I didn't think it felt that cramped at all when I rode it, but that was only from about 20 minutes of riding and in that amount of time you don't always notice everything.
I've only ridden 2 other bikes lately. One was an '84 GSX250 (not that small, but utterly gutless), and the other was my mates '87 GPX250 (tiny AND gutless).
So in comparison the Z650 was a dream come true! :laugh:

I've organised with my Dad to go pick it up tomorrow night! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I think i'll be spending all night just looking at it sit in the garage...
I am crazy aren't I :dry: :huh: :unsure:

It looks like you guys and girls have amassed quite a collection of fantastic information and knowledge here, I can't wait to get stuck in to it.

Got a question (which I should probably re-post elsewhere, but...):
A Z650 owner from another bike forum recommended that I should get one of these .
Do you think it's worth it? And how would I find out if it did or did not already have something similar on it?

Thanks B)

Another Aussie newbie :) 12 Jun 2006 05:49 #53859

• heartless
  • User
welcome aboard Ausz650!!

no, you arent crazy - just afflicted with the KZ disease - found to be totally uncurable by the way, but symptoms can be kept under control by riding a KZ regularly. :ohmy: :lol: :laugh:

as for the ignition stuff, unless it is having issues with starting i wouldnt worry too much about it right off - maybe keep it mind for a future upgrade tho.

Good luck with your new found obsession!! ;) :)

Another Aussie newbie :) 12 Jun 2006 07:12 #53885

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Welcome! Nice looking ride!
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Another Aussie newbie :) 12 Jun 2006 17:55 #54062

• NOS
  • User
Nice bike!!:woohoo:
Looks like it was well taken care of by the PO. Heartless is right, I would wait on the ignition as long as the bike is having no problems and runs well.
The main thing to do is RIDE!!! Get on and get the feel for the bike. The more you ride it, the better you know what the bike needs to make it run better! Take your time with her and you will have a long, fun, and rewarding future with her.

Take care and ride safe :)

Another Aussie newbie :) 12 Jun 2006 18:14 #54075

• tganek
  • Visitor
"I think i'll be spending all night just looking at it sit in the garage...
I am crazy aren't I "

Not crazy... just the first one to admit it out loud!!!

Welome.

Another Aussie newbie :) 14 Jun 2006 07:03 #54431

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome. 650s are great bikes to ride! B)

Have fun with her. Stop staring and Ride safely.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Page: