Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Another winter project hits the street (pic) 10 Jun 2006 11:34 #53432

• KZ
  • KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I finally got my winter project back on the road. I eliminated the monoshock setup that I had done last year and extended the stock swingarm 3” and put on the 1991 ZX rear wheel with a 180 tire that I had. I also raked the front to about 31 degrees. I shortened the rear fender 3” (might have been too much, not sure yet) and shortened the seatpan by 3” and narrowed it by about 2. I have a Cateye taillight and license bracket assembly mounted to the seat rail and I used one of those import car chrome tailpipe tips with a Kerker K series baffle jammed inside. I shortened the length of the passenger peg mounts to move them forward and serve as sort of pseudo rearsets that I can rest my feet on but I still have to shift/brake from the original locations. After I shake things down for another few weeks I will take it apart and paint it all, put the front fender back on and chrome the rear shock springs, swingarm and fabricate some decent rearsets.

I am not a new memeber...wrong forum. Oh well.

Post edited by: KZ, at: 2006/06/10 14:34

Post edited by: KZ, at: 2006/06/10 14:36

Post edited by: KZ, at: 2006/06/10 14:40
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another winter project hits the street (pic) 10 Jun 2006 11:47 #53437

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
She sits like a hill climber! I like it's attitude! What are you thinking of for a paint plan?

Another winter project hits the street (pic) 10 Jun 2006 11:50 #53438

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I'll vote- I like the look, nice tough looking bike. Maybe get rid of the LTD badges on the side covers? Did you use the original seat cover when you re-sized it?

Another winter project hits the street (pic) 10 Jun 2006 12:32 #53447

• KZ
  • User
Ambergrismooon – as for the hillclimber look, I wanted it to look very stretched out as I am 6’-4” and, in stock form, it looks like a minibike under me when I am mounted on it. I think the combo of extended swing arm, shorter ducktail and the 17” rim did it. I think it looks unique and tough in real life. I am contemplating picking up one of those widened 16” factory mags from Klasmo which would allow me to keep the 180 tire but with more sidewall showing to reduce the hillclimber effect. I will ether do that or get up the nerve to lace up a 16x5.5” rim on a standard A2 hub that I have and go with a spoker up front too. Might not look bad all polished and what not. On the paint question, I will just keep it black. I will remove the LTD and tank badges as Nevco48 suggests.

Nevco48 – I had a guy recover the seat with a similar material and look as the original($230). I did all of the foam work as the old stuff was shot.

Another winter project hits the street (pic) 10 Jun 2006 13:36 #53451

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
I know what you mean about bikes kinda getting lost on big guys. I'm 6' 8"+ and I ride my KZ650 around all the time. Even my KZ900 is small but mostly cause it's a LTD and the step seat reduces butt travel(I had a LTD550 but sold it before my brother hurt himself laughing). Your ride is coming nicely wan't wait to see it all done. Sounds like youre having fun!

Another winter project hits the street (pic) 10 Jun 2006 19:31 #53525

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Your seat guy did an excellent job on the cover. If the bike were mine, I'd leave the Tank emblems, just lose the LTD badges; there isn't much LTD left on the bike, right? But , it ain't mine though, is it...

Another winter project hits the street (pic) 10 Jun 2006 20:25 #53558

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
She looks great. B)

What colors you looking at?

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/06/10 23:25
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Another winter project hits the street (pic) 10 Jun 2006 22:08 #53599

• wireman
  • Visitor
KZ wrote:

Ambergrismooon – as for the hillclimber look, I wanted it to look very stretched out as I am 6’-4” and, in stock form, it looks like a minibike under me when I am mounted on it. I think the combo of extended swing arm, shorter ducktail and the 17” rim did it. I think it looks unique and tough in real life. I am contemplating picking up one of those widened 16” factory mags from Klasmo which would allow me to keep the 180 tire but with more sidewall showing to reduce the hillclimber effect. I will ether do that or get up the nerve to lace up a 16x5.5” rim on a standard A2 hub that I have and go with a spoker up front too. Might not look bad all polished and what not. On the paint question, I will just keep it black. I will remove the LTD and tank badges as Nevco48 suggests.

Nevco48 – I had a guy recover the seat with a similar material and look as the original($230). I did all of the foam work as the old stuff was shot.

go with the spokes definately.;) lets see some finished pictures

Another winter project hits the street (pic) 17 Jun 2006 17:49 #55195

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks great. I like the stance, the stretch, the black paint - keep it as it is, that back wheel is perfect. My only suggestion would be to match the front wheel with the rear.

Another winter project hits the street (pic) 18 Jun 2006 21:30 #55422

• KZ
  • User
Thanx Fossil. To my eye anything less than a 19 inch front wheel doesn’t look on right these older bikes and the mate for the rear is only 17 (’91 ZX-11). I will either pony up for the widened Klasmo rear wheel (search for 42048011T on their website) to match the front or lace a 5.5x17 rim on my A2 hub but that would be almost as expensive and I would still need a front spoke wheel. Not sure yet. Frankly, I am kind of a rat bike guy and I am getting used to the mismatch.

Post edited by: KZ, at: 2006/06/19 00:31

• Page: