Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ model info 30 May 2006 04:07 #50876

• newrider06
  • newrider06's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys. Is there a good site that lists all the different KZ models and the differences between them? Besides the displacements, I'm getting a little lost in some of the other designations, which models are desirable, and which I should avoid, etc. My google search didn't turn up much - at least nothing that covered all the models. I just recently began searching for what will be my first bike and it seems a KZ will have the perfect mix of style, performance, reliability, and price that I'm looking for. Now, I just need to decide which model is right for me so I can narrow my search.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ model info 30 May 2006 04:23 #50877

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
For me with my 650 this helped explain quite a bit.

jarle.eltelevest.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650.htm
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

KZ model info 30 May 2006 05:23 #50880

• heartless
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
for me, finding the "right" model was finding one that I was comfortable on - ie: seat height, handlebar placement, & weight. The only way to find these things out is to get on them - try them on for size, so to speak. I "tried on" a lot of different makes and models before buying the one I have now.
I wanted a bike that was big enough to keep up on the highway, yet small enough for a beginning rider (me) to be comfortable with.
I ended up with the KZ simply because it felt good, and was in the right price range. didnt hurt any that it is a good looking bike as well! :whistle:
Found this site after I got my KZ, and it has been a valuable resource for getting my bike up and running nicely, as well as a place to have a little fun when not riding. :)

good luck with your search for the "right" KZ! B)

KZ model info 30 May 2006 06:14 #50886

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
Newrider06:

To quickly answer your question, no. Most of the sites that deal with older kawasaki's tend to be model or type specific, e.g. there is a site for 400/440's, 550's, another site or two for 650's, another for 750's, yet another for Z1/Z900, another for 1000/1100's, another for 1300's, then there are ones for GPz's, ELR's, turbo's, etc. KZR is one of the few sites where you might encounter people who have bikes from all these 'groups'. There is a Suzuki site that is very similar (in terms of model coverage) to KZR. As for selecting a Kawasaki ahead of time, many of us pick up bikes that are available in our local areas...we don't have much choice on availability; for example, I may desire a Z1, but it may take a year or so to find one in my neighborhood. But if you are willing to pay shipping charges, then you can get whatever you desire :)

Don't be afraid to post comparative questions on KZR...you will find plenty of folks to yak about their favorite bikes:laugh:
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

KZ model info 30 May 2006 11:02 #50929

• duncan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
newrider06 wrote:

Now, I just need to decide which model is right for me so I can narrow my search.

i'd suggest considering a kz650 or kz1000. if you look at the picture gallery, these are the two most popular KZs by a long shot, which suggests the best parts availability/aftermarket support. a 650 if you're riding single, or a 1000 if riding double.

but if you fall in love with some other KZ, passion beats practicality every time. :)

KZ model info 30 May 2006 14:07 #50952

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I need to put my plug in for the KZ750E [STD] and KZ750H [LTD] models (I have 3,)then also the KZ750L and the KZ750 Spectre and other FOUR CYLINDER KZ750s. They are faster, smoother, and more powerful than the two cylinder KZ750s (Man, am I gonna hear crap from the 2 cylinder guys on this site for that comment!)They are the same basic bike as the KZ650 (a tried an true favorite), but they came out later in the KZ model run, starting in 1980-1984, and basically are an "improved" KZ650 (bigger displacement, improved engine valve train, mag wheels, better electrics, and a few other betterments. In comparison to the KZ900/100/1100 series, the KZ750E & H are a little shorter, lighter and thus more maeuverable. Because they are not the "big dog KZ", they are also less expensive to buy, and the parts are cheaper than the bigger bikes.

See these 1980 magazine articles in the filebase of kzrider, which rave about the KZ750E and KZ750H when they first came out:

kzrider.com/component/option,com_docman/...ad/gid,18/Itemid,45/

kzrider.com/component/option,com_docman/...ad/gid,16/Itemid,45/
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

• Page: