Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

In Kansas City w/ a KZ250 project 17 Apr 2006 15:13 #40280

• crd
  • crd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi. Reckon it's time I introduced myself. Name's Chris, and I have a 1980 and a 1982 KZ250, both untitled parts bikes. Having tooled on my VW Bug for two years, I'm now at a point where I feel fairly comfortable taking on a motorcycle project.

Last year, my stepfather gave me one of the bikes, a non-runner. A couple of months ago, while my girlfriend was out of town, I snagged the other one for $150 off of Craigslist. ("Guess what I picked up this week, honey?")

I've not gotten into too-serious wrenching yet, in part because I've only got one proper gas tank for the two bikes, and that one was missing the cap. I finally got the cap, but (and here's a question I'm sure I'll be asking in a tech forum) I don't have the screws that attach the hinge to the tank. Do any of y'all know what size/kinds of screws or bolts I should use? Are there washers that go on the bolts or a gasket that goes in between the tank and the cap?

Anyhow, been enjoying browsing the forums, and I'm sure I'll be tapping your expertise. Hope to get this thing running by summer.

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

In Kansas City w/ a KZ250 project 17 Apr 2006 17:29 #40310

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome to KZ Riders I'm sure you will like it here , Its one of the best sites I've found for information and help from some of the best guys/gals you'll ever find .B)

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

In Kansas City w/ a KZ250 project 17 Apr 2006 19:53 #40338

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Chris, welcome aboard!

A lot of your parts questions can be answered at Buy Kawasaki.com . From the Owner Info menu select Parts diagrams and work your way through the menus to the parts diagrams. I print out the picture and the list frames to make my own parts manuals.

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

In Kansas City w/ a KZ250 project 21 Apr 2006 14:31 #41491

• Snafoo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Welcome!
I too have a KZ250 "fixer-upper".
Mine is a 1983 KZ250W1 LTD Belt Drive and I got it for $75.

About your question, I don't know the size but there is a small rubber flat washer that goes around each screw hole in the cap base. Each one fits into a recess in the cap base. I guess you could use o-rings if you can find the right size and thickness.

The whole front end was replaced by what looks to be a Yamaha dirt bike and the gas tank too I guess.

Anyway good luck with your project.:laugh:

• Page: