Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 kz550 LTD ready for work! 09 Apr 2006 16:45 #38110

• Rocko
  • Rocko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone, I am soon to be the new owner of a 1983 kz550 LTD and I am really excited about finding this website! I have never worked on a motorcyle before but I have experience with everything from lawnmowers, to four-wheelers and mustangs. I have a few questions for everyone, and any help you can provide for me would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking into getting a new seat for the bike, yesterday I was browsing the internet and found one company that made seats with the passenger's being a "fastback" style. This is what I am looking to get, but when I was looking around today I couldn't find it again!!! Does anyone know where I can get a good fastback style seat?? As a matter of fact, what are some good websites with aftermarket parts in general?

Also, the bike needs a new set of lifters. I have a kawasaki dealer near me and can pick them up, but as I said, I have no experience working with motorcyles in specific. Is a lifter change a difficult task?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks ahead of time! Once I get my bike I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1983 kz550 LTD ready for work! 09 Apr 2006 17:57 #38131

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Here's a good place to start...welcome to the world of motorcycling:

www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Frontpage.jsp

1983 kz550 LTD ready for work! 09 Apr 2006 18:04 #38136

• oldcoldankles
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Great bike choice Rocko and welcome to the forum. There are quite a few KZ550 riders here. If you're planning on doing some mechanical work on the engine, the best thing to do before you start is locate and study the procedures in a service manual. Check the classifieds here, or eBay frequently has new or used manuals in the auction. Enjoy your KZ550:)
Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

1983 kz550 LTD ready for work! 09 Apr 2006 22:26 #38233

• Rocko
  • Rocko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
That denniskirk site is a good one! Hadn't found that one yet, thanks! I am more interested in aftermarket parts, not just oem style. Anyone else have good website ideas?

1983 kz550 LTD ready for work! 16 Apr 2006 08:13 #39884

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Hi Rocko!
First, get a good manual for your bike. If you are going to do any work on the valve train, you must know to NOT bolt down the valve cover while the cam chain tensioner is in place and functioning. The valve cover acts as part of the chain guide and will push on the chain as you bolt it down. A good manual will warn you about things like that.

There are a lot of things like that to know which are not always obvious, and can cost you a lot of money.

Good luck!

1983 kz550 LTD ready for work! 16 Apr 2006 11:06 #39916

• rickj
  • User
Loud:
Thanks for the reminder that everything isn't as intuitive as it looks!! Now maybe I will look for a manual- sooner rather than later!! is EVERYTHING clymer- or is there a manual gold standard??

1983 kz550 LTD ready for work! 16 Apr 2006 15:33 #39975

• NOS
  • User
The factory manual is one of the best as far as the detail of the specs and features. Although it is written for a trained mechanic, and assumes that you will understand the basics of the bike and engine before you touch a wrench.
I would recomend the Clymer for a novice mechanic because of the tips and detail about the procedures themselves.
Next comes the Haynes manual, I don't like them because they tend to skip steps and don't let you in on need to know details that will help you with your project.

All in all, I think a Clymer and factory Manual together is your best bet. Having one for the "How To's" and one for detailed specs would be the best.
If I had to pick one I would go with the Clymer.

Ohh!! BTW nice bike choice. I can't wait to see it.

Take care and ride safe :)

1983 kz550 LTD ready for work! 16 Apr 2006 23:29 #40129

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
NOS wrote:

The factory manual is one of the best as far as the detail of the specs and features. Although it is written for a trained mechanic, and assumes that you will understand the basics of the bike and engine before you touch a wrench.
I would recomend the Clymer for a novice mechanic because of the tips and detail about the procedures themselves.
Next comes the Haynes manual, I don't like them because they tend to skip steps and don't let you in on need to know details that will help you with your project.

All in all, I think a Clymer and factory Manual together is your best bet. Having one for the "How To's" and one for detailed specs would be the best.
If I had to pick one I would go with the Clymer.

Ohh!! BTW nice bike choice. I can't wait to see it.

Take care and ride safe :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. I use both Clymer and Factory Service Manual. The Clymer gives good warnings and hints. The FSM gives very good detailed data and specs.

• Page: