Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

(PICS ADDED!) Hello from a newly minted '79 KZ650 owner!!! 08 Mar 2006 14:29 #29428

• paulie
  • paulie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all just want to say "hi"!

I'm considering buying a 1979 KZ650 from a co-worker, and found this site in my research.

I've not actually seen the bike yet, nor heard it run. The bike in question has seen VERY light use in the past 10 years or so, but the current owner says that it runs great once you get it started.

This would be my first bike ever, and from talking with friends who ride, a 650 is probably a decent start. I will certainly outgrow it, but its not overpowered nor underpowered for a newbie, from what I understand. I really like the styling of this generation of bikes, and the "you break it, you have to fix it" mindset of a vintage bike appeals to me. (unless it breaks in the middle of nowhere!) I am good with a wrench -- fairly proficient at maintaining and servicing car engines, but this will be my first venture into motorcycles. Wish me luck!

So I would like some advice. Is there anything specific mechanically or electrically that I should look for? I am already planning on a compression check when I go to check it out.

Current owner has done a number of things to the bike cosmetically, but I'm not sure what work has been done to the engine. I would imagine not a whole lot, as apparently it runs good once you get
it started.

Also, the seller is looking to get about $900-$1000 for it, would this be a decent deal if the bike were in good shape, runs decent, with no huge rust spots?

Obviously I can't be too specific on questions, as I haven't even seen the bike yet, but any purchasing advice anyone has would be excellent!! Cheers!

Paul
Madison, WI

Post edited by: paulie, at: 2006/04/17 10:33

Post edited by: paulie, at: 2006/04/17 20:51

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from potential '79 KZ650 owner 08 Mar 2006 14:33 #29430

• wireman
  • Visitor
seems like a lot of money to me,post some pictures so we can get a better idea what it is .;)

Hello from potential '79 KZ650 owner 08 Mar 2006 14:38 #29431

• paulie
  • User
Thanks for the reply wireman!

Yea, I will most definitely post pics when I get a chance to check out the bike.. Probably won't be for a few weeks though.

I will keep you guys informed of what I do!

Thanks again!

Hello from potential '79 KZ650 owner 08 Mar 2006 14:47 #29433

• NOS
  • User
Congrats on your bike selection!;)

"the current owner says that it runs great once you get it started" Is he saying that it's hard to start? If so, it may be something as simple as needing to clean/replace sparkplugs and/or clean the carbs ( there are other reasons for that, most of which are usually fixed with a tuneup. :) )

If it starts, runs, drives well, and is in good shape, I think that price is fair with a clear title.
I would check the tank for rust, and check the forks for oil leaks(might need new seals), look at body (panels and engine casings) for signs that it may have been dropped. Check the BRAKES!!! See if the tires/fenders line up with the frame to make sure that the bike is straight.
Just give it a good once over to make sure that things are solid and nothing has been cut off or added that may effect the way the bike performs/drives.

I think you can get the general idea. (Just pretend that you are buying a used car. If something doesn't seem right, then it probably isn't. ;) )

Good luck, Let us know if you get it...Ohh!!, BTW if you do get it post some PICS
:woohoo:

Hello from potential '79 KZ650 owner 08 Mar 2006 14:52 #29436

• paulie
  • User
NOS wrote:

Congrats on your bike selection!;)

"the current owner says that it runs great once you get it started" Is he saying that it's hard to start?

Yes, current owner does say it starts pretty hard. He says it always starts, it just depends on how hard you have to work at it :)

From what I can tell, hard starting is pretty much THE most common issue for old bikes, so I won't put too much emphasis on that, as long as it DOES START!! :D

Cheers!

Hello from potential '79 KZ650 owner 08 Mar 2006 17:04 #29469

• tnt79z28
  • User
Hi Paulie,
First of all welcome aboard.....
Not too sure what "depends on how hard you have to work at it" means...
My bike sat for 8 1/2 years (it's an 81 KZ1000CSR) without any attention,after a carb clean and sync. it starts first time every time(knock on wood). Just pull the choke and hit the starter and it fires right up....
Depending on how hard of a time you have to get it started might give you some pricing leverage. Good luck and please post some pics when available.....
Have a Good One...........Don

Post edited by: tnt79z28, at: 2006/03/08 20:06

Post edited by: tnt79z28, at: 2006/03/08 20:07

Post edited by: tnt79z28, at: 2006/03/08 20:09

Hello from potential '79 KZ650 owner 08 Mar 2006 18:07 #29488

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome.
Good choice on a bike.
I bought mine in '84 not running for $1000.
I'd have a good look at the tires as well. If the side walls are cracked, or if there's not much tread left, that'll cost a few hundred dollars and I'd lower your offer acordingly.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/03/08 21:09
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Hello from potential '79 KZ650 owner 08 Mar 2006 22:21 #29531

• timber
  • User
maybe because i'm cheap. but i have really good luck in telling the owner that a bike that old that runs with a clear title is worth $1 a cc so 650cc=$650 which is a good start for you. the two of you can work it out an find a price that works for both of you.

btw welcome fellow cheese head.

Hello from potential '79 KZ650 owner 11 Mar 2006 18:52 #30193

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Welcome aboard, Paul.

The KZ650 is a very popular bike for a number of reasons. Number one is that Kawasaki shipped and sold 'em like hotcakes in the late seventies so parts are plentiful. Second, with normal care and maintenance they are durned near bulletproof. Most problems are due to neglect and abuse.

I think that $1000 for a 650 is reasonable if the bodywork is in very good shape, is complete, has a clear title, and is ready to ride away. If it's mint (original paint, etc.) then $1200 to $1500 is probably the high end. If it's going to require some work and parts, then those are items you should be able to use to work the deal more into your favor. How much the seller will move in your direction depends on how anxious he is to sell it. If you work a deal you believe is fair, you have a lot of fun ahead.

Once you get it running and tuned up, there won't be too many instances of if leaving you on the roadside unless you forget how much gas is in the tank. :whistle: :blush:

Enjoy!

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Hello from potential '79 KZ650 owner 12 Mar 2006 05:32 #30290

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
Hey, the cheeseheads are taking over! Welcome, I cant say anything else that others havent. Is it always difficult to start or just when the engine is cold? What is considered difficult? Mine is difficult but I think I have the routine down now and once Im going its great.

Put your location and bke type (assuming you get it) in your signature line so you dont have to give the info anytime you need help. There are a few others in Madison and many more in the state.

Hello from potential '79 KZ650 owner 13 Mar 2006 11:41 #30690

• paulie
  • User
Wow, thank you for the warm welcome guys!

It's looking more and more like I will be buying this bike, presuming everything that he tells me is true.. The more I talk to the current owner, the more it seems he's willing to give me a good deal on it.. At least less than his initial $1000 estimate.

So things are looking good, though I may be getting ahead of myself.

A couple questions:

This one's directed at N0NB - I really like the look of your bike!! Are those stock mags? I like those a LOT better than the spokes.. If those are stock, would they fit a '79 KZ650 Custom? Where might a guy find some?

Also, another one more general question. I see that barely any of you have sissy bars. Might anyone be able to point me to potential vendors of sissy bars that fit a 79 KZ650? My girlfriend wont ride without one. :(

Hello from potential '79 KZ650 owner 13 Mar 2006 11:41 #30691

• paulie
  • User
Wow, thank you for the warm welcome guys!

It's looking more and more like I will be buying this bike, presuming everything that he tells me is true.. The more I talk to the current owner, the more it seems he's willing to give me a good deal on it.. At least less than his initial $1000 estimate.

So things are looking good, though I may be getting ahead of myself.

A couple questions:

This one's directed at N0NB - I really like the look of your bike!! Are those stock mags? I like those a LOT better than the spokes.. If those are stock, would they fit a '79 KZ650 Custom? Where might a guy find some?

Also, another one more general question. I see that barely any of you have sissy bars. Might anyone be able to point me to potential vendors of sissy bars that fit a 79 KZ650? My girlfriend wont ride without one. :(

• Page: