Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 04 Oct 2019 17:25 #811816

• Forrest
  • Forrest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Before I can restore and service my motorcycles, I need to complete this, my garage addition. The purpose is to have a dedicated bike workshop. I plan on servicing my running bikes. Plus, I have the following Kawasaki motorcycles waiting in cue for restorations:
- 1973 H2 750
- 1974 F7 175
- 1975 F7 175
- 1975 KH 500

I am getting a bit impatient but have made progress. :whistle: I cannot bring myself to share or list all of the delays and expense just to get to the point of ground breaking. Let's just say, I am not a fan of the over regulation in my town on new construction. :pinch: It has taken half of the spring, all summer, and now into the fall to get to this point. Actually, I have been fantasizing for the past 10 years and been seriously intending to do this for at least the past 3-4 years.

This is how it appears as of today(except the roof does have shingles). I can now get the workshop floor poured and then get to work on wiring, lighting, and walls! It is starting to get real! I just might have this completed in time for winter restoration and servicing projects. Will keep you posted. I can't wait! :woohoo:

This is the inside of my two care garage before the wall was taken out. The exposed studs and bare insulation come out to make for the width of the addition.

This shows the existing back wall taken out exposing the inside of the new addition. Next the concrete floor will be poured.

The outside view after framing, wood siding, and vapor barrier in place. There will be a 3' wide door on the long run. On the shorter run at the back of the house, there will be a 4' wide x 3' high window in the back of the shop.
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Forrest.

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 04 Oct 2019 18:15 #811818

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Looks great Forrest! I hope we see you guys tomorrow.
Jack
78 KZ1000 A2A
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 04 Oct 2019 18:17 #811820

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Looking Good Forrest

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 04 Oct 2019 18:38 #811822

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
I have a way of building an all plywood bench that is super strong, mobile and can double as a gurney :)

78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 04 Oct 2019 21:50 #811834

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 630
Beautiful work.

;)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 07 Oct 2019 07:56 #811979

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

bluej58 wrote: I have a way of building an all plywood bench that is super strong, mobile and can double as a gurney :)

I am in on this Jack! Let's talk soon.

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 07 Oct 2019 08:04 #811980

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Thank you Street Fighter and Dave. You Michiganders can appreciate a work space protected from our winter & summer climates. Upper Midwest winters can last what seems like 1/2 the year.

Talked to my concrete guy. He will cut the gas curb out tomorrow and then we will pour the floor this week

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 07 Oct 2019 08:26 #811983

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
Are you going to heat the shop area ?
Do you need a additional circuit breaker panel . I went with all 20 amp GFIs in my shop for adequate power . Code will probably force the GFIs
Best wishes on your project .
Dave

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 07 Oct 2019 08:52 #811988

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Are you going to heat the shop area ?
Do you need a additional circuit breaker panel . I went with all 20 amp GFIs in my shop for adequate power . Code will probably force the GFIs
Best wishes on your project .
Dave

Good question Dave; Yes I am going to heat the entire garage. A friend gave me on old gas heater that can be suspended. If that doesn't work, I will buy a new one. Also, plan on separate air conditioning too. Might as well go all in! :woohoo:

I have left my house's original power meter box in place. It is located on the right wall of my new addition space. You may be able to view in the photo in post #1. It is directly above my breaker panel in my basement. Not sure it is needed but are going to add in the new space a new breaker panel It will be all GFI in the shop but not sure of amperage. Leaving this to my electrician. The additional breaker panel should be of benefit. More to come.

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 07 Oct 2019 09:28 #811989

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
Forrest
In Michigan your meter has to be outside. No idea as to where you are what will be required .
A little basic information .
1 all motor appliances such as lathes , refrigerators, AC units ,are put on there own dedicated circuits.
2 Lighting circuits in ceiling are 15 amp and dont have to be on GFIs
3 small upcharge from 15 to 20 amps
4 I am known for the Tim Allen motto of more power and go big so take me with a grain of salt.
5 I put all circuits at 20 amp GFIs including the ceiling so if I put in drop cord reels they are protected properly, ( Just in case )
6 ceiling hung heaters are great as this gives you a safety factor for spilled fuel getting to a low ignition source
7 My background is over the years as a fire chief / arson investigator, Insurance fire investigator , commercial / residential general contractor
building Malls , fast food franchises , homes / subdivisions etc, etc, etc
If you need to bounce ideas around let me know.
Here is one of my shops
Dave
Go Big , Or go home

The garage under the house is for long term projects and motorcycle year round heated , air conditioned parking ( Oh , and the wifes car too LOL )

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 07 Oct 2019 10:03 #811994

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Great info Dave, Thank You! Just for added clarification. My new Power Meter/Housing is located outside. I had to have my main electric line dug up, relocated, spliced to new location. It was so I could get at most an extra 5 lineal feet of workshop space. Plus I was able to bring the garage addition all the way back flush/even with my house. This was a pain and added a lot in terms of time and money. Not only did I have to relocate the power meter/splice the main electric line but also the air conditioner. The A/C was 19 years old so guess what, a new unit. My town is very keen on over regulating thanks to the last housing bubble and lax new construction at that time. I will likely make all circuits 20 amp GFIs including the ceiling. I like your concept of putting in drop cord reels. Will put this on my list.
I would love to go big but my current property is just under 1/2 acre corner lot. This addition fits into my current subdivision without upsetting neighbors or the village and will help when selling. I will be looking for vacation/retirement property and hopefully building in the next 5-6 years. The one photo back towards your house looks like you have a lake... nice. I hope to find some property that will give me flexibility to go big on a garage/workshop. This current project will be good to cut my teeth on. Thanks for sharing your story and photos. I am sure that I will be bouncing ideas and asking for your feedback as I move further through this project. This forum continues to amaze me with members willing to share and help. Thanks Again!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 07 Oct 2019 12:20 #812001

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
Im Here for you Forrest !!!!
Dont sell your current shop short . Im sure it will be awessome !!!!
Dave