Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 09 Jul 2008 21:25 #225275

• stagchr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
No wonder there's so much good stuff here...that's alot of wrench turners!

Unfortunately, that ain't me. I push papers in a pre-fabricated cube at the third largest Student Loan company in the country while working on finishing my Masters degree in 19th Century American Theatre History, so I can teach classes at a small private college in Iowa.

And now it's up to you to decide if I'm full of schnitzel or not. B)
Lincoln, NE
1981 KZ550C
1982 KZ305 CSR (once upon a time)

\\\\\\\"Is that helmet full of idiot? Why is it on your shoulders?\\\\\\\"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 10 Jul 2008 05:11 #225305

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
I are also an engineer! I work for a small consulting company in Novi, Michigan that specializes in accident investigation and reconstruction. Most of what I do these days is database analysis, but I also get involved in any electrical issues and design and install instrumentation systems for any testing we may do.

Most of what we do is for the defendants in product liability lawsuits - we do a lot of car work, a fair bit of PWC stuff and the occasional bike accident. It can be very interesting, but having been in this biz for about 25 years, I have become pretty jaded about folks taking responsibility for their own actions. The temptation to stand up in court and say "your honor, if the plaintiff had been sober, and wearing his seatbelt, he would still be alive and we wouldn't be here trying to blame it all on (fill in the blank)"
Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 11 Jul 2008 11:57 #225574

• KZErider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Well... I start Monday on my new job. I've been cultivating this customer for this position for about 6yrs, and the company has finally grown to the point that it needs a full-time building supervisor. I'll be doing pretty much the same things I've been doing for them, off and on, as a contractor, but now it will be full-time with a salary and benfits. They're also gonna provide me with a vehicle and expenses. The company does sleep studies to help doctors diagnose sleep related disorders. It's a very clean environment and most of all the employees have grown with the company. Basically what the owner said is that I'll be in charge of "appearance and safety". It's been about 10yrs since I've tried full-time work and I hope it works out this time.
81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 11 Jul 2008 18:00 #225624

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1282
Now Let me get this straight! You are to supervise the whole damn building while walking around sound asleep but are still to give out the impression that you appear safe.

Sounds like some one wrote a govmn't grant application to fund your position.

Hey what the hell, Go for it!:laugh:

Good luck on your new venture!

KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 13 Jul 2008 06:37 #225843

• dkmk
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
My second residence would be one of the two major mining companies in Sudbury, Ontario, where I have been for 27 years. Worked at most of the sites in the Sudbury operations, and am an Industrial Millwright by trade. Currently I operate the hoist which transports the men and materials underground. Heavy on the government regulations due to the nature of the job, where one wrong move could produce a serious or critical injury, and vigilance and concentration are required, but very challenging on a daily basis. Two 1200HP motors, 14 ft. dia. drum with 1 5/8" rope, 13 ton capacity and a mile of mineshaft @2150fpm = fun, fun, fun! Especially when you tease the new guys riding on it over the two-way radio "Oh oh, no brakes! :laugh:. I tell them they are fortunate to get all the amusement park thrills without the high price tag!:laugh: B)

Retired as of March 1st, 2010, but busier than ever...
Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

Last edit: by dkmk.

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 15 Jul 2008 14:19 #226341

• Spleaf
  • User
I'm one of the senior techs on the helpdesk at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (PA). I spend my time helping dumb people use computers. :lol:

Seriously... you don't know how scary it is to be telling a cardio-thoratic pediatric surgeon "No, Dr. Your OTHER right"!!

It's stressful and hectic at times, but I enjoy it a lot. Been there a little over 2 years. Have worked in the computer support industry for over 10.

I have also built roof trusses, worked fast food, and was a stockboy at an office supply store.
Chris
Philadelphia PA
1979 KZ650

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 24 Jul 2008 00:32 #228003

• supercharged
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
a great diverse group.

I'm a sole practitioner CPA, with a small real estate business. I enjoy photography and do some commercially, but only for clients who don't good photography:laugh:
Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 26 Jul 2008 19:34 #228467

• BeeSting
  • User
  • Drive it like your tax dollars already paid for it
I'm currently still on active duty from my deployment to Iraq (medical hold). Thats going to be ending soon. In the Army I'm an aircraft structural repairer, a cavalry scout, and infantry. I'll probably be reclassing to civil affairs soon. There's something about driving a land rover through alqaeda recruiting grounds in civilian clothes with two 9mm under a safari vest that gets me all excited.

In the civilian world I'm a quality manager. Unfortunately, I just found out that my old employer is cutting back hours and employees - there's probably no place for me to go. So I'm looking..., and hopefully I find something soon. I'm looking in Michigan but I'll not opposed to moving to Tennessee.

I also make some money doing websites. If you know anyone who needs one for their business, hit me up.
BeeSting

Flint, Michigan - Chicagoland, IL

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Kawasaki KZ750 H1 LTD (4)
Kurayami (Girl of Darkness)暗闇の女

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 27 Jul 2008 13:35 #228544

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm double dipping these days. You may recall that I came out to the East Coast for school last year but my employer was willing to allow me continue to work remotely so...I'm a full time physics student and a full time software design engineer.

I get away with it by virtue of the fact that I don't have a work "schedule" and can clock in whenever I have free time. As a good amount of my work involves waiting for test reports and logs to generate or software to compile, I usually surround myself with a number of laptops and simply go back and forth as needed.

I'm only doing a couple of hours a week in summer classes at the moment but I am spending a lot of time gearing up to pitch a preliminary thesis to my advisors and doing a summer language program on top of that which gives me just about enough free time to choose between getting an hour or two sleep or simply balling up in the bathroom sobbing.
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 27 Jul 2008 17:27 #228584

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I'm a paid murderer for the local county
My main target:

:P
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 21 Sep 2008 11:45 #238034

• MikePotter86
  • User
  • Two wheels move the soul.
I am a Graduate Student at Indiana University Studying Public Affairs and Fincance, and I work for the City of Bloomington Utilities Accounting.
Michael L. Potter
1981 KZ 750 LTD
South Lyon, MI/ Bloomington, IN

www.flickr.com/photos/potterm/

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 25 Sep 2008 14:30 #238651

• littlemanonbigbike
  • User
I'm a recovering truck driver,(haha) before that a technician in the pest control industry. One day about 4 years ago my i got deathly ill with a lung condition and my wife told me it was time to quit and she said "I make enough money for both of us why don't you stay home with the kids". Took some getting used to but its working out.
1982 1100 Spectre
Various other toys