Kalgard vs POR-15 Engine paint

More
04 Dec 2006 10:05 #97351 by yakimasy
Kalgard vs POR-15 Engine paint was created by yakimasy
I am in the process of completely disassembling my engine for a clean and rebuild from the ground up... I have my buddies extra '78 kz1000 engine in my bike so I can ride while I build ;) ....

I want to paint the engine black... my friend, with the extra motor, just got an engine from Jim at redline cycle.. according to Jim the engine was painted black with Kalgard and looks fantastik...

Problem: The Kalgard website sucks for info.. from what I have seen I can not tell if Kalgard is brushed on or sprayed on... plus I had to go to the "gun care" portion of the site to find any info on high temp paint. www.kalgard.com/

The POR-15 site is on the opposite end of the spectrum with tons of info... The high temp paint they are selling comes with brushes and according to the instructions can be thinned, but does not mention using a sprayer. www.por15.com

Question: Has anyone used either of these to paint an engine... If so which looks better? Can either of them be sprayed on... or because of the nature of these paints can you get a sprayed look with the use of the supplied brushes?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2006 17:33 #99228 by baldtires
Replied by baldtires on topic Kalgard vs POR-15 Engine paint
gunkote by kg industries is a spray-on coating
i put it on the jugs of my kz550a with no surface prep but a toothbrush and a garden hose and a year later it's just starting to show some oxidation where it was originally, a touch-up is in the plans
to be done right the part should be sand blasted with 120 grit and baked at 325 for 1 hr, i let the engine heat bake the jugs
i did brake calipers master cylinders and handle bar
switch housings without blasting them and they look like new
once it is baked brake fluid won't dull the shine
nothing takes it off but sandblasting it's .0004 thick
so it can get in threads without problems
i'am thinking smaller parts for a extra durable finish but engine cases would be a bit much for me, but if you would do it WOW

More
13 Dec 2006 05:17 - 03 Dec 2008 13:46 #99276 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 13:46 by JMKZHI.