• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2006 19:40 #96112 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Trunk opinions?
bob_z1 wrote:

I've got a Vetter trunk like that I was going to list on ebay.... anyone here interested?
pics @ s12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/bob_z1/Vetter/

JMK: Bob's pics look pretty nice; could be the setup you're looking for - now that a mount is figured out. ;)

The smaller rack you posted the pics of would not be a problem to adapt to a setup like I built. I can pretty much talk you through any real issues that might arise.

The side panels and lid are easily removed and painted if the color isn't what you're after - mine was originally that putrid Vetter puke maroon/brown with gold stripe. Needless to say, THAT color scheme never saw the street again... :sick:

Also nice to have those lights - mine are operational as both running and brake lights. Okay - so I lied - one wingnut AND a molex. So shoot me... :woohoo:

Only thing to keep in mind is tossing a box of rocks in there; it WILL affect your handling, but not if a little common sense is used while in use.

Well, there you have it - and I did my good deed for the day! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/11/29 22:43

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2006 20:09 #96127 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Trunk opinions?
Pterosaur wrote:

. . . a couple of sheets of that teflon/plastic stuff - 1/4" thick. Tough as hell, easy to cut to shape and finish with a DA/sanding block and fine paper.

Very interesting -- and thinking it would be useful in lieu of plywood for many fabrication projects including those not motorcycle related (such as in boat seats) and immune from dry rot.

May have overlooked but don't recall seeing it while exploring the local builder's supply aisles. Where does one find and purchase this material?

Thanks. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2006 20:33 #96133 by Pterosaur
Patton wrote:

Very interesting -- and thinking it would be useful in lieu of plywood for many fabrication projects including those not motorcycle related (such as in boat seats) and immune from dry rot.

May have overlooked but don't recall seeing it while exploring the local builder's supply aisles. Where does one find and purchase this material?

Thanks. :)

Wonderful stuff; and very appropriate for hundred of uses I'm sure.

Tough, flexible, waterproof, UV resistant, won't rot, all the above.

Don't have a brand name, but I can get it - mine came five-finger discount from a pal who works maintenece at a fastener manufacturer - they use blocks of it in high wear/solid state lubricant applications.

Same stuff dirt bikes use on swingarms as chain guides/tensioners.

Stay tuned for details...;)

More
30 Nov 2006 07:49 #96233 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic Trunk opinions?
you could probably find a cheap plastic kitchen cutting board and shape it to do the same job.

A dollar store or something would probably have the necessary 'hardware' - or any wally world.

I'm gonna be building my own rack this winter - can I use JB Weld to put it together, or should I try and source a welder to do it properly? Is an alternative using bolts everywhere?

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• JMKZHI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Nov 2006 07:59 - 22 Feb 2013 11:43 #96234 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
=
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 11:43 by JMKZHI.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2006 08:02 #96235 by Pterosaur
pyxen wrote:

you could probably find a cheap plastic kitchen cutting board and shape it to do the same job.

A dollar store or something would probably have the necessary 'hardware' - or any wally world.

Damned good idea! ;)

Never thought of it - but you're prolly right on target there...

I'm gonna be building my own rack this winter - can I use JB Weld to put it together, or should I try and source a welder to do it properly? Is an alternative using bolts everywhere?

Depends on a few things.

Don't think I'd try JB-ing chromed tubing together - though a properly prepped metal surface should hold okay.

Might have to come up with some type of jig if you go that route - JB takes about 24 hours to set. If your joint moves before set, hope you don't mind a trapezoidal rack... :lol:

Can't argue with welding it just works so well.

Bolts can do the job pretty clean - and leave open the option for disassembling the rig if you ever need to. ;)

More
30 Nov 2006 11:42 #96276 by pyxen
Pterosaur wrote:

Damned good idea! ;)

Don't think I'd try JB-ing chromed tubing together - though a properly prepped metal surface should hold okay.

I'm probably going to use basic unfinished steel tubing, and then paint the finished product black to match the bike. I figure I could just rough up the bar stock to give the JB weld a bit more to bite into. I just don't want my wife falling off the back of the bike cause the weld broke :P I'm going to try and model it after the ventura system, with interchangeable racks/backrests. Its a fantastic system out of Australia.

www.sporttouringusa.com/www/V_bikepack.htm

This is it on a new Z1000:

www.sporttouringusa.com/www/Ventura/V-ph...gs/vkaw13_photos.htm

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2006/11/30 14:53

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2006 11:53 #96282 by Pterosaur
pyxen wrote:

..I just don't want my wife falling off the back of the bike cause the weld broke :P

Ah. With all due, if I was gonna hang somebody I cared about's tail on the contraption (which I do with mine..) - I think I'd spend a buck or two and have it welded pro-style. 20 bucks will buy a bunch of rod...:huh:

More
30 Nov 2006 12:17 #96285 by pyxen
Pterosaur wrote:

pyxen wrote:

..I just don't want my wife falling off the back of the bike cause the weld broke :P

Ah. With all due, if I was gonna hang somebody I cared about's tail on the contraption (which I do with mine..) - I think I'd spend a buck or two and have it welded pro-style. 20 bucks will buy a bunch of rod...:huh:

True..I will make sure its 100% strong enough of course, which is why I ask.

I wouldn't put anyone on it if I wasn't willing to ride it myself.

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• JMKZHI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Dec 2006 05:47 - 22 Feb 2013 11:47 #97550 by JMKZHI
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 11:47 by JMKZHI.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 06:22 #97558 by Pterosaur
JMK:

By chance, do you have a pic of the bottom of that trunk? Might be able to swap some ideas on rigging up the mount.

Matter of fact, if you can get the rack and the box in the same pic for perspective purposes, that'd be helpful.

;)

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
05 Dec 2006 06:57 #97564 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Trunk opinions?
I guess I've never really cared if my bike looks cool or not, and one probably needs to be that way if you're planning to use one of the common aftermarket trunks. Honestly, I don't really even like the way thtey look, if I think too much about it.

But who cares? I can carry an extra set of gloves, a small tool kit, and stop on the way home and get a gallon of milk for the baby and some Chinese food. Now *that* is convenience.

I bought the trunk from JCWhitney , though it looks like the price has gone up $10 since I got it....

I probably will get a second base mount so I can swap it between my two 750s. I have come to depend on it, and when I winterized my bike with the trunk first this year, I was without it for a few weeks, and was suprisingly inconvenienced... I kept thinking I didn't want to move it to the other bike because there was only a few days of the season left...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com