Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 26 Nov 2005 17:25 #10403

• duncan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
wiredgeorge wrote:

I just saw this stuff advertised in Motorcycle Classics magazine. They have a local distributor and I just sent an email asking for info/prices. Check it out... www.evapo-rust.com

thx for the post.

i tried this stuff today. it was hard to find cause it was in the household cleaner section of the hardware store, not the auto/auto body repair section.

anyway, i was pretty impressed. i dropped a few rusty chrome bicycle pedals into the stuff for a few hours and they came out pretty good. the pics are here:

groups.msn.com/mybikes/evaporust.msnw?Page=1

the item has to be submerged in the stuff for a few hours to work....the whole item at once, or a bit at a time.

a litre/quart was about $10.00. you can reuse it over and over again til it wears out.

the surface looks kinda raw, so the item should probably be sprayed with some kind of clearcoat to protect it from new rust, maybe like a duplicolor wheel clearcoat:

www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

thx again! :)

Post edited by: duncan, at: 2005/11/26 20:27

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 02 Feb 2006 19:33 #21226

• storysunfolding
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
How long do you have to go at it with the neverdull? I've been going at one spot for 10 minutes and nothing, nada, zilch.

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 02 Feb 2006 20:27 #21234

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
If you can find it use Flitz or Semichrome, Better than Neverdull ,Wont hurt paint either , But Neverdull is good to keep your Chrome /metal , Alum Parts real clean ..and Pretty

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 02 Feb 2006 20:28 #21235

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I vote for the aluminum foil as well, although I have always used it without the soap and water.

When I was a little kid my Dad would make me polish the chrome bumpers on the car with aluminum foil to remove the rust :)
KD9JUR

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 03 Feb 2006 16:09 #21340

• tfh903
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Body shops use steel wool grade 000 or xxx can't remember which.. it doesn't scratch chrome and will take off little rust marks. Have to go to a auto paint supply house to get it.. I have some left and will update if I can find the box..

Post edited by: tfh903, at: 2006/02/03 19:10

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 08 Feb 2006 19:20 #22620

• MkII
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
you can get any grade of steel wool at Home Depot...#0000 or 000 should remove what you're describing with little effort and make it look better than before.
1977A1 current project: 1075, Web cams, VM29's Cavanaugh massaged head, Z1 crank

1979A3A Parked in 1986 left in shed

Phx,Az

• Page: