Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 20 Nov 2005 21:51 #9286

• cratgo
  • cratgo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i'm restoring this 77 kz750 and ALL the chrome, handlebars, shocks, instruments, fenders, forks, have that specky kind of rust, and no, it won't buff out, it's too deep, i checked the other pages of this forum and didn't see any thing. am i pretty much screwed? duplicolor has some chrome spraypaint, but doesn't look like it would give good results, has anybody tried it? i might just have to slowly buy all new stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 21 Nov 2005 06:36 #9320

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
If stell wool won't get it out then you will have to try something different. About the only other option is to sandblast the parts and have them either painted or re-chromed. Steelwool and WD-40 seem to do wonders but if the pitting it too bad it might not help. I might make it look good enough to use until you get new parts or repair what you have. How about some pics so we can see what you are talking about.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 21 Nov 2005 06:54 #9321

• Wildog
  • User
I have found a great product, it is called Eagle One Never Dull, it is in a metal can and can be found in your auto parts store it is for alluminum and chrome. It is a wad of cotton with some kind of chemical in it. You rub it on the rust till it rubs off then let it dry to a white powdery look then rub of with a soft cloth, it polishes the chrome with no scratching.

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 21 Nov 2005 07:37 #9327

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
NevrDull!
Works wonders on surface rust on chrome. Also does a good job on polished aluminum.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 21 Nov 2005 07:53 #9331

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I'll chime in on the NeverDull.....I get it at Wally's and it lasts forever....does great job. I usually finish with semichrome and a buff wheel on the dremel....
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

<<<>>>Electroless nickel 21 Nov 2005 08:04 #9336

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 21 Nov 2005 08:52 #9348

• hat0791
  • User
Never dull does not polish the surface of the chrome, it just cuts corrosion. If you really want to help it, polish it with a compound and/or some steel wool, and then buff it out with chrome polish or some fine-cut automotive paint polish and a buffer.

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 21 Nov 2005 09:03 #9349

• madderkaw
  • Visitor
I mentioned this once before, all you need is aluminum foil, soap, & water. Dip the foil into a bucket of soap and water, and scrub away. The chrome surface is harder than the foil, so it will not scratch like steel wool. I restored a 72 BMW R75/5(don't worry, I sold it right away, and bought my 1st KZ) with a "toaster" gas tank, and it came out so well that I recommed this method to anyone who asks. Try it, I'm sure you have all the required ingredients in your place right now.

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 21 Nov 2005 09:20 #9355

• duncan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
i'm a big fan of scotch rite scrub sponge (the mild blue one). i go thru tons of them, around the house, cars, motorcycles, biycles, etc. just saturate with liquid chrome cleaner and scrub away. various coarser grades if necessary, but i rarely have to:

www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/scotchbrite/products/scrubber.jhtml

Post edited by: duncan, at: 2005/11/21 12:24

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 21 Nov 2005 18:02 #9463

• cratgo
  • cratgo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
thanks madderkaw, i remember when i was in school, rubbing foil on the lunch tables turning them silver-gray and really smooth, hmmmmmm thanks for all the comments

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 21 Nov 2005 22:00 #9514

• wireguy
  • User
a bodyman i knew way back when used to allways use ketchup for polishing brass/copper radiators on cars he said ketchup is very acidic,if he needed it to be abrasive he would put a little salt in with it,he told me he learned it from his grandma thats how they used to clean,polish copper pans without scratching them.ive seen it done,it really works

all my chrome has that specky rust - help! 22 Nov 2005 13:26 #9652

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I just saw this stuff advertised in Motorcycle Classics magazine. They have a local distributor and I just sent an email asking for info/prices. Check it out... www.evapo-rust.com
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: