Black engine/frame paint-not rattle cans?

More
12 Nov 2006 12:42 #91444 by DanAir
I would like to buy some black engine/frame paint in a pint or quart. Most of the auto paint manufacturers have distributors around here, but due to the semi-gloss nature of the original finish, I'm not sure of what to ask for. What do you guys use?

Thanks in advance for your input !!:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2006 14:29 #91457 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Black engine/frame paint-not rattle cans?
I am not in a position to give painting advise, unless you are painting your house. But, you should clarify your question a bit Dan- are you looking to use the same paint on the frame and engine? Spray it, brush it, or dip it:P ? There are plenty of guys here to set you straight on painting...

More
12 Nov 2006 17:04 #91486 by DanAir
Replied by DanAir on topic Black engine/frame paint-not rattle cans?
Yes, for both engine and frame, if possible.
Spray with the airbrush and/or detail gun.
Thanks!

More
12 Nov 2006 17:50 #91504 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Black engine/frame paint-not rattle cans?
On my frame I touched up quite a few places with Rustoleum gloss black. I can't tell the difference from the stock frame paint. Can't help you about the engine, I like the natural aluminum over painted.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
13 Nov 2006 15:22 #91784 by Z-MAN
Replied by Z-MAN on topic Black engine/frame paint-not rattle cans?
PJ1 has an epoxy that is almost as tough as automotive paint, but in a rattle can. They have both a frame paint and engine paint. You can get it locally at Palm Beach Cycles or most mailorder. Give me a call and come over and check out my bike I think you will like it. Tough stuff.

More
14 Nov 2006 09:33 #92004 by KL250
Replied by KL250 on topic Black engine/frame paint-not rattle cans?
I don't really think that your going to be able to use the same paint on the engine and the frame. personally for the frame i would goto a PPG dealer and get this paint line that PPG calls UROTECH it is an Acrtlic Urethane Enamel, tough ass shit, i used it on a few bike frames and it is awesome, very very chip resistant, fuel and chemical resistant. I used it on a dirtbike frame and after 2 years of hard off road riding there were very few chips,minimal gouges, and i was just starting to wear through were your boots rub by your ankles.

For the engine i would just go for PJ1 engine paint, the automotive stuff won't allow your engine to cool properly.

• wireman
  • Visitor
14 Nov 2006 12:43 #92079 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Black engine/frame paint-not rattle cans?
KL250 wrote:

I don't really think that your going to be able to use the same paint on the engine and the frame. personally for the frame i would goto a PPG dealer and get this paint line that PPG calls UROTECH it is an Acrtlic Urethane Enamel, tough ass shit, i used it on a few bike frames and it is awesome, very very chip resistant, fuel and chemical resistant. I used it on a dirtbike frame and after 2 years of hard off road riding there were very few chips,minimal gouges, and i was just starting to wear through were your boots rub by your ankles.whats the differance between automotive engine paint and the pj1?

For the engine i would just go for PJ1 engine paint, the automotive stuff won't allow your engine to cool properly.

;)whats the differance in the paint?

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/11/14 16:17

More
14 Nov 2006 13:00 #92082 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Black engine/frame paint-not rattle cans?

For the engine i would just go for PJ1 engine paint, the automotive stuff won't allow your engine to cool properly

:S

I don't understand. Are you talking about automotive engine paint, or automotive body paint?

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
15 Nov 2006 21:08 #92489 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Black engine/frame paint-not rattle cans?
You can ask for semi gloss black and the paint store will mix it, if you have a Mack truck dealer near you they sell black chassis paint that is not as glossy as a regular auto paint and its cheap, or you can get some regular acrylic enamel and "overthin" it with laquer thinner, another way is to go to the auto paint store and ask for some universal flatening additive and put some in the acrylic enamel

More
17 Nov 2006 08:41 #92769 by KL250
Replied by KL250 on topic Black engine/frame paint-not rattle cans?
The PJ1 paint I recommended is sold at motorcycle shops and is designed for engine cases. It has additives in the that allow it disperse heat properly. It will go on thin and not have near the durability of a catalyzed automotive grade paint.

The other paint I recommended is a Acrylic Urethane Enamel, and it is designed for use on frames and such.
It doesn't get as hard as most other paints therefore it will much much more chip resistant. It is also very chemical resistant. Unfortunatly it won't stand up to the high heat or allow the engine to cool properly. I painted my 250's engine with a paint similar to this and it would overheat in about 2 miles of easy riding on a cool day.