TOPIC:

Tank.... 17 Nov 2005 14:00 #8691

• KzJim
  • KzJim's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Check the aluminum z1 tank... www.thetankshop.com

Post edited by: kzjim, at: 2005/11/17 17:01
Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tank.... 17 Nov 2005 15:01 #8707

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
Pure sex...
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Tank.... 17 Nov 2005 17:00 #8724

• KzJim
  • User
i may have to have one...(droooll)
Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Tank.... 01 Dec 2005 01:14 #11228

• wireguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
how much is it in english?how much weight does it save?

Tank.... 01 Dec 2005 04:10 #11231

• KzJim
  • User
its prob around 600 usd.. as for the weight.. it probably ways close to nothing.... id have to guess a pound or 2

Tank.... 01 Dec 2005 08:25 #11263

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Wireguy --

For money conversion, go to www.xe.com . Scroll down, and you can type in a price and convert between different currencies.

Or go to Google and type "300 euros in dollars". Google's neat -- random stuff like that works (except torque conversions... :().

I think XE.com is more up-to-the-minute with conversion rates, but both Google and XE.com put 300 Euros at about $350 and change right now.

Tank.... 01 Dec 2005 08:29 #11265

• jenshhj
  • User
OK, so who does this type of work in north America?

Right now it seems like all the performance "bling" is coming out of the UK, Spondon, Harris, JMC, and now the tank shop. :blink:

By the way, the Scots are still pricing in Pounds Sterling, not Euros.

Post edited by: jenshhj, at: 2005/12/01 11:31

Tank.... 01 Dec 2005 11:02 #11290

• John68
  • User
if you really want to go light, you could always make a gas tank out of fiberglass, or if you have a high budget for your bike, make one out of carbon fiber.

I was contemplating making a bunch of Z1 stuff out of carbon fiber, to sell, but coming across used Z1 parts, to use as a plug is pretty hard.

With a carbon fiber gas tank, you could toss it off the bike at highway speeds, then buff a few scratches out of it, and you'd never know it got tossed at 65mph. It would be lighter than aluminum too. Fiberglass would be light too, but deffinitely couldn't compare to the durability of carbon fiber.

Tank.... 01 Dec 2005 18:52 #11343

• wireguy
  • User
ive heard that that fiberglass tanks were leakers,ive seen guys put "backbone tanks"on their frames,and use fiberglass tanks with the bottem cut out as a shell.any idea about leaks,or were they just trying to sell framework?those backbone jobs were only good for a couple passes,no good for a streetbike!

Tank.... 01 Dec 2005 19:23 #11350

• John68
  • User
The 1960's corvette coupes (I wanna say bigblock 427 1967 year) cars had factory fiberglass gas tanks in them. They were molded to be a part of the fiberglass body.

The biggest problem is molding in 2 pieces and then attaching the two pieces together. For a long time there wasn't a strong gas resistant resin for attaching 2 fiberglass components. thankfully, that is all changed now. They even have glues that replace structural welding on cars. I know that sounds scary, but it actually holds up better than spot welds.

The stuff isn't cheap at all, in fact, for what that aluminum tank costs, carbon fiber would be about equal or a little more depending on the style of gas tank. (probably around $350-400 for just a tank)

Due to it's nature, fiberglass is waterproof and gasoline proof, but just a precautionary measure, it is best to line the tank with kreem, or with extra bonding resin. Of course, that adds weight to the tank, but if you are drag racing, you generally aren't keeping 3 gallons of fuel in the tank at all times.

Tank.... 01 Dec 2005 19:40 #11352

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
I have someone here who has agreed to apprentice me in forming sheet. Once thats finished I would be able to pound one out.

Oh, and as for carbon fiber tank, I would think carbon/kevlar would be even cooler. It would have the best of every single thing you can possibly have.

How are you getting the prices for the carbon fiber tank you are talking about John as far as an estimate? :D

Tank.... 01 Dec 2005 22:34 #11374

• John68
  • User

How are you getting the prices for the carbon fiber tank you are talking about John as far as an estimate?

The prices are based on materials, and custom labor prices.

I can make an entire set of motorcycle tins from carbon fiber. Sidecovers, tailpieces, gas tanks, and fenders can be made the same way I'd make a custom carbon fiber car hood. Making carbon fiber pieces are like "advanced fiberglass" molding. It's just a matter of time to make a plug, mold the plug, mold the pieces and put them together. If you don't make 50-100 of the same gas tank, then it's going to be more expensive. I do cut a huge price break for anyone on this forum. I am not doing bikes for maximum profit. I do these just to make a fellow KZ rider a little happier as he rides down the freeway. I have seen people quote prices between $600-900 for doing all the body pieces for a single motorcycle. I generally stay within $250-500(and if I am asking for $500, chances are it was in very bad shape, and any other shop would charge $900-1200).

Just thought I would try to help out as much as possible. I don't mind giving away anything labeled as a "trade secret" or any other information that someone is asking for. Just the same, I don't mind giving away my time away from the computer, in the shop, to help out.

btw, if anyone is interested in making their own carbon fiber pieces, I'll give the material supplier I use.

• Page: