what's a fair price?

More
24 Oct 2006 12:17 #86899 by Bicycle Lee
what's a fair price? was created by Bicycle Lee
So over the long, cold Utah winter, I was thinking of having my bike taken apart down to a rolling chassis and get it painted. What do you think is a fair price for having my engine, wiring, etc removed?
My mechanic works cheap, but I really couldn't even know where to begin with this...

1978 KZ1000 police

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2006 13:11 #86905 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic what's a fair price?
If he/she charges by the hour, then lots! It actually is fairly easy to disassemble a bike...is there a reason you don't tackle this yourself?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
24 Oct 2006 14:52 #86918 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic what's a fair price?
mainly because I don't trust myself completely. Haha...

1978 KZ1000 police

More
24 Oct 2006 16:15 #86931 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic what's a fair price?
your best bet is to do it yourself..theres nothing better than taking a bike apart to learn how to put it back together.

I know my 550 so much more than I ever would have, had I had the mechanic get it ready for the road after I bought it. It takes longer, but you can't put a price on the experience you gain.

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
24 Oct 2006 16:30 #86939 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic what's a fair price?
If you do it yourself, just make sure to take lots of pictures with your digital camera prior to the dismantle. It really helps out sometimes when you get stumped putting stuff back together.

More
24 Oct 2006 17:09 #86959 by MaddMaxx
Replied by MaddMaxx on topic what's a fair price?
I was going to do my own, but like you, I am not a mechanic. I had some guys who did the tank, sidecovers and both fenders for 1500 to include some really nice airbrushed graphics but I had to dismantle it and reassemble it. Since it went no further down than that, I did it myself, they painted it and it looks awesome.

• wireman
  • Visitor
24 Oct 2006 19:20 #87019 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic what's a fair price?
Attachments:

More
24 Oct 2006 19:41 #87038 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic what's a fair price?
thank you to everyone who posted. I would like to do what I can by myself, but when it comes to the real technical stuff I'll probably leave that up to the mechanic. He's been really good about teaching me as he goes (I could totally replace my own clutch, install a new clutch cable, bleed and refill my brakes, tune up my points plate by myself now).
As for the paint. I'll probably do all the prep work myself, and finish the frame paint, but the tank, sides and fenders I'll have done professionally.

1978 KZ1000 police

More
28 Oct 2006 14:31 #88074 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic what's a fair price?
If I had to throw a number out there I would say $2000. That is to disassemble, assemble, replace parts that will break while taking everything apart, new bushings, polishing the ugly aluminum and so on. Mechanincs get around $55 an hour, more or less depending where you are.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Oct 2006 15:29 #88090 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic what's a fair price?
it all depends on what you want them to do;) i came strip a kz to the bones in 2-3 hours,leaving motor together.it all depends on how detailed you want bike to be as far as what the rest of it will cost ya.if i had to pay myself $5.00 an hour for all the time i spend building each bike id be living in a box under a bridge!:woohoo:
Attachments:

More
29 Oct 2006 21:12 #88456 by hmondo
Replied by hmondo on topic what's a fair price?
I would advise taking it apart yourself. When I did a rebuild, I took lots of digital photos and put screws/nuts in bags and wrote on them to keep track of where they went. I also ended up numbering screws and drawing diagrams as to where they went (in respect to each other). I learned a hell of a lot from folks here. It was rather rewarding and I'm sure you will agree once you've done it yourself.

Just a thought!

1989 KZ1000 P-8 (Police)
1987 ZL1000
1986 Concours (Project Bike)

More
30 Oct 2006 05:18 #88492 by heartless
Replied by heartless on topic what's a fair price?
have to add my vote for doing it yourself as well. box of cheap zipper bags, a sharpie marker, and a digital camera go a long ways to making it easier to put things back together, maybe a notepad to jot down notes about things as you take them apart.

some sort of service manual is another "must have" item to have handy, too. factory manuals are best, but even the clymers manuals are more helpful than not having anything, and usually have exploded diagrams for most of the bike...

but then, when you are broke, like me, you pretty much HAVE to learn to do it yourself, or it doesnt get done - cant afford to pay someone else to do much of anything. (thus the sig line...)

There is nothing like the feeling of satisfaction, and accomplishment, that goes along with succesfully doing the job yourself, whatever that job may be.