paint composition

• Mcdroid
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
18 Oct 2006 11:40 #85245 by Mcdroid
paint composition was created by Mcdroid
I have searched this forum but was unable to get an answer to this question. I'd like to paint my bike(s) but I cannot use the 'correct' method. Rephrased, I cannot use a gun/compressor as (1) I cannot afford a compressor, and (2) even if I bought the compressor, I'd have to rewire my garage with a dedicated 20amp line...and that I also cannot afford. So, I explored having my bike(s) painted (by reputable painters) and it was quoted (by all) at $800/bike = US$1600...no thanks...I'll buy another bike before I cough up that much money for paint. Now, before I piss someone off...that is a fair price and if I had a Z1 I wouldn't hesitate to have PaintWorkz do my bike....but I have GPz's which apparently have a simple paint (and the stripes are decals, which I already have). So, I'll be painting myself (with rattlecans). NOW, my question is, if I have paint matched (by a quality paint company) and have them package (pressurize) this paint in aerosol cans, will this paint be of a higher quality then the normal off-the-shelf paint such as Dupli-color? Can I expect better results from a custom mixed (but aerosol delivered) paint than off-the-shelf paint?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2006 12:59 - 03 Dec 2008 16:52 #85261 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 16:52 by JMKZHI.

More
18 Oct 2006 13:08 #85263 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic paint composition
I checked with ColorRite, because they sell their paint in the pint/quart can, or in an aerosol spray (rattle can).
They said that the colored paint is the SAME stuff. BUT... The clear coat has to be mixed with a hardener, and they sell a special kit with a detachable paint container so you can mix the clear with hardener, then spray it on like a rattle can.
This was news to me. I always thought that color was mixed with hardener to give it durability. But ColorRite said that all of the durability is in the clearcoat.
So I guess it just comes down to how nicely you can apply the paint with a rattle can, compared to a high-dollar compressor/gun system.
Edit:
ColorRite does make an aerosol clearcoat in a rattle can that doesn't need a hardener. But it's not recommended for use on m/c fuel tanks, or anywhere else that might see a corrosive enviornment.
Here's a link:
www.colorrite.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=865

Post edited by: ltdrider, at: 2006/10/18 16:26

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
18 Oct 2006 15:52 #85287 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic paint composition
or you can rent a gas powered compressor for less than 50 a day and paint it over a weekend

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
18 Oct 2006 16:35 #85297 by Mandrake
Replied by Mandrake on topic paint composition
You might want to check around and see if someone has a compressor and gun you could borrow or rent.

I don't know much about the quality of spray can products, but you might look into the Preval system. With the Preval you can mix a catalyzed coating and then spray it with their disposable kit.

Probably worth checking into

More
18 Oct 2006 20:59 #85355 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic paint composition
if you go to a bodyshop that does production work you will have to pay those kind of prices, I am sure that somewhere around where you live used car dealers have some shops that do work at a much more reasonable price like maybe 250 300 for a bike or cheaper even, I do this type of work and its just as good or better than the production shop, last year I did a suzuki set for a hundred bucks in black, I did a goldwing for 400 in teal base clear,I have been painting for 30years and have quite a few customer cars and trucks that win at car shows so the quality is a good as possible just a lot cheaper, look for a small shop I know they have a few down there

• Mcdroid
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
19 Oct 2006 02:41 #85381 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic paint composition
Thank you gentlemen, you have given me food for thought...Michael

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
19 Oct 2006 04:13 #85385 by rubberlips
Replied by rubberlips on topic paint composition
i had the same problem,just finished doing up a bike not a kz it was a gl500. the prices i was getting to paint the body panels were too much for me,found a local guy who does cars ,my bike was the first bike he did and he did a really good job for less than half the price of the others.

More
19 Oct 2006 05:01 - 03 Dec 2008 16:54 #85390 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 16:54 by JMKZHI.