Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dent Popping using CO2 11 Oct 2005 17:02 #805

• forest1000
  • forest1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got a nice dent in my tank for my GPz. I've heard people use Co2 and water to pop it out. Anyone tried this method?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dent Popping using CO2 11 Oct 2005 17:14 #811

• John68
  • User
I am not familiar with that exact technique, but if it is anything like putting compressed air inside the tank, and trying to pop the dent out, then I can tell you you gotta be careful, experience helps. I have seen guys split seams out and worse. The best method is to apply only 4 or 5 psi of air to the tank, and heat the dent up with a torch, until it is cherry, and it will start to pop out. as soon as it gets close, quench it with water. The best possible thing to do is get the dent pulled with a stud gun, resistance type welder. what it will do is tack weld a small brass stud onto the outside surface, and a special dent puller can be attached to gently tap out the dent. If you are located anywhere near Pittsburgh, PA, I could pull it for you. the methods where people claim they can preserve the paint on the outside of the tank is trouble. Most of the time, it won't happen as easily as it seems.

Of course, I could be way off, on my assumption, as I am not familiar wiht the technique. could you describe it?
Thanks,
John

Dent Popping using CO2 11 Oct 2005 19:18 #867

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1289
I've not tried it but I've read that you put on some welding gloves and hold a piece of dry ice to the dent till the frost grows about an inch out all around the dent. Then you allow the sun to warm it and the dent is suppode to grow right out. It's ecpecially effective on hail damage, so I've been told.
Good luck
KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Dent Popping using CO2 11 Oct 2005 21:46 #942

• Tony
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 13
There was a few post made about this and it seems to work. Here's one link where it worked.
dry ice

Dent Popping using CO2 08 Dec 2005 04:31 #12282

• forest1000
  • forest1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the info guys. I've easy access to dry ice and will try this on my holidays and post the results.

Dent Popping using CO2 08 Dec 2005 05:12 #12284

• dgfischer
  • Visitor
I've seen 2 stroke expansion chambers made by using the pressurized water method (hydroforming). They weld up flat metal and then put water under pressure to get it to shape. It is supposed to be safer than using compressed air (all the air must be replaced with water). Water does not compress (actually,it compresses very little) and if there should be a burst in the metal, it will just squirt out to releive the pressure built up. With air pressure (it compresses) in a tank or chamber, it can become a bomb when a leak is created.

Heres a link
www.eurospares.com/frame8.htm

You have to be careful when usung either method on a tank as the tanks tend to spread out and look odd.
Daniel

Dent Popping using CO2 08 Dec 2005 08:27 #12303

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
This might actually work at home if one were to make a die.
perhaps by casting concrete around the old tank with a seam,
splitting during early cure stage, working dent out of the die,
waiting for full cure, putting tank back in and clamping with some
angle iron and really big bolts, then pressurising tamk. It should
only expand to fill the void. You might coat the die with a thin
layer of plaster and sand smooth to keep the metal from taking
on a grainy appearance from the concrete.

I imagine one could use a model of a tank to make the die and
form each half individually out of Aluminum or steel and then weld the two together.

Would love to try here but way too many other things going on.

-Duck

Dent Popping using CO2 08 Dec 2005 10:10 #12315

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I have seen the dry ice method work but that is on automobile sheetmetal. The metal on our tanks is much thicker. I think the best method is going to be a stud gun. Just think about the hood on your car. If you press down hard with your finger the metal will give way and then bounce right back. Try that with your tank and you are going to have one sore finger.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• Page: