clear powder

More
11 Sep 2006 16:02 #75961 by novabiker
clear powder was created by novabiker
can you get highly polished bike parts clear powder coated?.or is it the more polished they are the harder time powdercat/paint will stick?...im polishin my fork legs and hubs.whats the best route for a clear?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2006 16:44 #75968 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic clear powder
Yes you can. Only problem is that it may yellow if used on a part that sees lots of heat. Fork legs shouldn't be any problem. I have a few lbs of clear powder at the house and I will be doing a few parts soon to see how they look.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
19 Sep 2006 07:39 #77792 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic clear powder
Clear powder wont yellow from heat. It cures at 350deg. It will stick to polished/chrome parts. be careful of chromed stuff tho, cheap chrome jobs will bubble if heated above 200deg, and you wont find out its cheap till its too late.

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

More
19 Sep 2006 15:44 #77914 by kawtoy
Clear powder will yellow in time. It is cured at 350 degress for 20 min or so, depending on the powder. That is very different than being at 400 degrees for hours at a time, such as cylinders, head, exhaust pipe holders and other very hot areas. If it is on the clutch cover, timing cover and other it should be ok. It all depends on the quality of the job. I think if it was very durable and didn't yellow then everyone would be coating their polished pieces instead of polishing them every few weeks.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
19 Sep 2006 15:44 #77915 by kawtoy
Clear powder will yellow in time. It is cured at 350 degress for 20 min or so, depending on the powder. That is very different than being at 400 degrees for hours at a time, such as cylinders, head, exhaust pipe holders and other very hot areas. If it is on the clutch cover, timing cover and other it should be ok. It all depends on the quality of the job. I think if it was very durable and didn't yellow then everyone would be coating their polished pieces instead of polishing them every few weeks.

More
19 Sep 2006 15:44 #77916 by kawtoy

More
19 Sep 2006 20:51 #78054 by mykznme
Replied by mykznme on topic clear powder
ive heard of double clutching.............. but triple????

damn kt you REALLY wanted to make a point huh??:)

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

More
20 Sep 2006 07:24 #78125 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic clear powder
KT.. first you say 'it may yellow', then you say it will yellow... which is it? how much PC experience do you have..

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?