Mixing

More
03 Sep 2006 22:58 #74363 by MaddMaxx
Mixing was created by MaddMaxx
Got some great tips in here, but how about some ratios of paint to thinner. In particular, for my paint gun with PPG type paint, thinned with what and how much. I have the same problem for my air brushes, I have some Iwata airbrushes and createx paints, but dont know what to thin them with or what the mix should be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2006 04:58 #74377 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic Mixing
Createx is water based, you could buy the reducer or just used bottled water as I do. How much well there is no formula I would roughly say 4 parts paint 1 part water give or take reduce only the amount in your airbrush cup and do a test spray. Keep in mind as you reduce your dry time speeds up and yhe paint may become transparent.

PPG I'm not farmiliar with, however unless you have laquer paint you are loking for a reducer not a thinner this too is usuall 4:1 but it all depends on the type of PPG you have, enamel,acrylic enamel,urethane,base coat.
If you fingd a local ppg dealer or a autoparts store that sells ppg ask them for the correct reducer and the correct ratio.

1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

More
04 Sep 2006 09:36 #74408 by mykznme
Replied by mykznme on topic Mixing
The paint and catalyst are the important ratios, and should be displayed on the containers. This is VERY important. As for the reducer, if you aren't familiar with spraying, add some until it takes about three or four seconds to drip off the stir stick. usually around 5:1:1. or 4:1:1.

water based paints should be thinned with water.
same ratio minus the catalyst.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar