PAINT QUESTION

More
23 Aug 2006 17:08 - 03 Dec 2008 17:53 #71937 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 17:53 by JMKZHI.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2006 17:21 #71940 by mykznme
Replied by mykznme on topic PAINT QUESTION
if your careful and cup the nozzle with your hand to and from the pump and take care not to overfill then you will rarely see gas on your paint.
like i said ive got around 2000 miles on my paint(roughly 20 fillups) with only 2 occurances.
all im sayin is the chances for spills can be greatly reduced and the fix is an easy one.
your not going to find a gas resistant paint short of mixing a 2 part clear over top of the rattlers.

hideous is in the eye of the beholder.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

• arai59
  • Visitor
23 Aug 2006 18:35 #71959 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic PAINT QUESTION
Do not waste your time or money on rattle cans. They may look ok at first but will have no durability. Period. Save your coins and have it done right. Less headaches and you'll appreciate it more.

More
23 Aug 2006 18:35 #71960 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic PAINT QUESTION
FYI, heat curing engine paint:

"Curing: VHT Engine Coatings will air dry in one hour and cure overnight. Baking for 15 minutes at 150°C and then 30 minutes at 180°C improves finish and provides a more durable surface for handling, resistance to salt-spray, chemicals and humidity. Curing may be accomplished by the inherent heat of operation, as encountered in engines, exhaust systems or by baking in an oven, infra-red, blow torch, etc. Starting the engine and running at idle for 15 minutes and letting cool can also cure VHT Engine Coatings. Restart the engine and run for no more than one hour and again let cool. If the engine is operating normally, this will bake on the finish. All curing must be done slowly."

from here:

www.speco.com.au/vht_faq.html

edit: for those in the great white north, i found the best rattlecan selections at:

- duplicolor...CMAX (a NAPA sister compnay)
- krylon...Sherwin Williams stores
- plasti-kote and VHT...Performance Improvements stores or catalog

Post edited by: duncan, at: 2006/08/23 22:06

More
23 Aug 2006 20:24 #72004 by mykznme
arai59 wrote:

Do not waste your time or money on rattle cans. They may look ok at first but will have no durability. Period. Save your coins and have it done right. Less headaches and you'll appreciate it more.

tell me my paint looks like shit.

i agree with having a pro paintjob but most people cant justify spending upwards of $300.00 on paint for a $500.00 moto.

ok screw it, bottom line. i paint for a living.im not just spouting off random jumbles i read through various threads and articles. i have done extensive research on variables and compositions of paint.there are 3 people on this forum who actually know what they are talkin about. if you do some reading you will know who.

duncan: fyi,
the higher the heat rating of the paint the higher content of ceramic therefore higher heat is needed to fully cure it.

you can argue till your blue in the face but a rattlecan repaint is the means MOST will choose.
why not point em in an easy and affordable direction.

Post edited by: mykznme, at: 2006/08/23 23:25

R.I.P. Odd Ivar
Attachments:

More
23 Aug 2006 20:32 #72009 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic PAINT QUESTION
arai59 wrote:

I tried to refrain, but great advice. Everyone knows how I'm against repaints, so I won't get majorly trollish, but I remember when I was a kid, a few guys repainted their bicycles and what happened. One time we had a real hard rain and a couple of them were washed down to bare metal months after they were applied. This was about 1970, then in about 1976 a friend repainted a 1970 Yamaha 250 blue and we put a clearcoat on. Looked great, until the first gas spill about 2 days later, then crap, then a friend had a beautiful Buick GS455 in bright red repaint. I next saw it about 6 months later in a non beautiful faded red/pink GS455. I just don't "get" the repaint thing. Of course no-one else here has ever had these experiences, so I'm wrong in everyones eyes and possibly it is true I've only seen bad repaints that all went bad.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 Aug 2006 20:43 #72018 by mykznme
RonKZ650 wrote:

arai59 wrote:

I tried to refrain, but great advice. Everyone knows how I'm against repaints, so I won't get majorly trollish, but I remember when I was a kid, a few guys repainted their bicycles and what happened. One time we had a real hard rain and a couple of them were washed down to bare metal months after they were applied. This was about 1970, then in about 1976 a friend repainted a 1970 Yamaha 250 blue and we put a clearcoat on. Looked great, until the first gas spill about 2 days later, then crap, then a friend had a beautiful Buick GS455 in bright red repaint. I next saw it about 6 months later in a non beautiful faded red/pink GS455. I just don't "get" the repaint thing. Of course no-one else here has ever had these experiences, so I'm wrong in everyones eyes and possibly it is true I've only seen bad repaints that all went bad.

all the times ive called you out you still have yet to tell me my repaint looks bad. if your freinds paint washed away then yall mustve used chalk n water or krylon

beleive me i know all to well about crappy repaints. i have to fix alot of em.;)

you said it yourself ron, everyone knows your stance on repaints but yet everytime a repaint question comes up you put in your .02 cents with no actual facts or advice to back it up.
and an fyi to you. the "repaint thing" is about people putting time and dollars into their bikes to get them running and dont wanna roll around on paint that looks like sasquatch took a shit on their tank.(wich is kinda what the FACTORY paintjobs look like after 20+years)
please ron leave the paint to those who know what they are talking about. you dont see me over in the carbs section tellin someone how to rejet their 97mm keihins do ya
C'MON GET ME GOIN:evil::whistle:

Post edited by: mykznme, at: 2006/08/23 23:58

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

More
24 Aug 2006 10:11 #72134 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic PAINT QUESTION
The only people the "know about repaints" are people that are deaf, dumb and blind. Well I guess deaf doesn't fit, but blind and dumb sure do. Last "professional" paint I had done was on a brand new truck in 1989 that I bought that had a birdcrap paint flaw on the front fender about the size of a silver dollar. Well I made the mistake of having that "fixed" by repainting the fender by a reputable body shop. Of course after 6 months I had a brand new truck with one faded, ugly crap fender. I figure that repaint cost me $30,000 because I had to buy a new truck rather than look at that crap. Never again. Sorry I can offer no advice to help on repaints, because there is no advice except to "NOT".

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• wireman
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2006 10:45 #72150 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic PAINT QUESTION
RonKZ650 wrote:

The only people the "know about repaints" are people that are deaf, dumb and blind. Well I guess deaf doesn't fit, but blind and dumb sure do. Last "professional" paint I had done was on a brand new truck in 1989 that I bought that had a birdcrap paint flaw on the front fender about the size of a silver dollar. Well I made the mistake of having that "fixed" by repainting the fender by a reputable body shop. Of course after 6 months I had a brand new truck with one faded, ugly crap fender. I figure that repaint cost me $30,000 because I had to buy a new truck rather than look at that crap. Never again. Sorry I can offer no advice to help on repaints, because there is no advice except to "NOT".

:P gotta love that origional paint!:evil:

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/08/24 13:55
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2006 10:57 #72159 by wireman
and another one with origional paint!:evil:id like to know where those pictures were taken,id be out there right now with a trailer!:evil: :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/08/24 13:59
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2006 11:01 #72161 by wireman
wireman wrote:

and another one with origional paint!:evil:id like to know where those pictures were taken,id be out there right now with a trailer!:evil: :P<br><br>Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/08/24 13:59

i think i might have one like that,parts of one anyway!

More
24 Aug 2006 12:13 #72194 by mykznme
wireman wrote:

wireman wrote:

and another one with origional paint!:evil:id like to know where those pictures were taken,id be out there right now with a trailer!:evil: :P<br><br>Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/08/24 13:59

i think i might have one like that,parts of one anyway!

bring it on over ace, we'll slap some bondo and paint on it and drop it off on rons front lawn:P

R.I.P. Odd Ivar