Paint removal from plastic side covers??

• tennacnightman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Aug 2006 23:40 #68869 by tennacnightman
Paint removal from plastic side covers?? was created by tennacnightman
Need advice on what's the safest and most effective way of removing paint off my plastic sidecovers. I want to restore my bike to a original color, for it's year, and I need to remove the paint off the side covers and tail of my 77 KZ1000. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2006 23:53 #68872 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Paint removal from plastic side covers??
I always just sand it off with some 150 grit sand paper.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
11 Aug 2006 23:54 #68873 by Sputnic81
Replied by Sputnic81 on topic Paint removal from plastic side covers??
Unless someone did a really crappy job of painting them, you might consider just leaving the old paint on. Sand out any imperfections runs, cracks etc. Use a good primer to even everything out and paint from there. Now if your current paint is cracking or blistering or something awful like that...which mine were. I used a course grit (maybe 80 but don't quote me on that it may have been more like 100) to get through the thick parts. I then worked into finer grits something in the 600 to 800 range. I then used an epoxy filler to fill in the moulded in 'stripes'. I used a rattle can filler primer on top of that sanded smooth then a regular automotive primer and then my color and clear. Turned out well for a rattlecan job, if i do say so myself. The only mistake I made was I used a pourous filler puddy on some little gouges that got into it (out of my own stupidity). Those areas have now swelled up from heat and storage and they need to be re-worked a little.

Now that I have babbled and ranted, a little sandpaper and some elbow grease is probably your best bet. I would not use any chemicals, just to protect any exposed plastic.

More
12 Aug 2006 11:06 #68947 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Paint removal from plastic side covers??
No chemicals.. trust me.. :(

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

More
12 Aug 2006 18:54 #69026 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Paint removal from plastic side covers??
KzJim wrote:

No chemicals.. trust me.. :(

No kidding! I tried a paint stripper safe for Corvettes (fibreglass). I figured the sidecovers would be ok. Nope. It softened the plastic and raised a "fur". They did harden up and a hell of a lot of sanding and primer made them paintable. I should have just sanded out the original finish and gone from there.
...I've wondered if blasting would work, something like ground nut shells.

More
17 Aug 2006 10:06 #70252 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Paint removal from plastic side covers??
Fossil.... HA i did the same thing.. course i had sucked down almost a 12 pack while working on the tank, the fur was hell to fix.. i keep the tail i screwed up as a reminder...

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?