Seat question

More
06 Aug 2006 16:50 #67552 by ltdfury
Seat question was created by ltdfury
I have a 1980 KZ LTD 1000 and Im not a big fan of the wide seat it has, anyone know of any simple and fairly inexpensive alternatives?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2006 19:16 #67586 by DanOz7Five0
Replied by DanOz7Five0 on topic Seat question
Electric slicing knife (the one used for cutting the turkey once a year) and a belt sander.

Remove your seat cover carefully. Then set the seat on the bike, decide how you want it to end up. Then start slicing the foam. Check your comfort often and when you get it where you like it then smooth it off with the belt sander. I did "irongin board" seat and moved myself back about 3 inches and lowered it about 2". Then (being a cheapskate) I reused the old cover, I ended up remifying a few areas to make the old cover work, but it looks pretty good. I was going to get it pro recovered but now Im selling all my stuff instead.

More
07 Aug 2006 01:30 #67685 by Fourtoes
Replied by Fourtoes on topic Seat question
Try this link, And look about 12 pdfs down the page. There a good one on cutting down your seat.

www.uponone.com/howtos.php

More
07 Aug 2006 12:05 #67798 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Seat question
Fury:
Is your LTD seat stock? The stock seat was a 'stepped' seat, and it's not all that wide. If you got one of those king/queen saddles, then you might want to just replace the whole seat/pan.
Here's a pic of the stock LTD seat:

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:

More
07 Aug 2006 14:40 #67830 by ltdfury
Replied by ltdfury on topic Seat question
Mine must not be the factory one then because mine is a lot wider than that, Ill hopefully get some pics up if its out of the shop by this weekend. That seat looks a lot better than mine but Id rather not have that stepped style but more of the "ironing board" style. Is thier any factory ones like that that'll fit my bike? If not I think Im going to go with one of them Corbin seats, they're pretty spendy but Im sure they're worth the money:huh: . And as for cutting and making my own seat I dont have enough confidence to do that, plus I'd like to be able to buy one so I can still ride my bike while I'm waiting for the new one to come.

Post edited by: ltdfury, at: 2006/08/07 17:41