Gas leak, from the side logo...

More
02 Aug 2006 09:29 #66661 by Robjb84
Gas leak, from the side logo... was created by Robjb84
Yeah, im feelign pretty stupid for a complete act of stupidity I comitted last night...

After fixing a minor leak in my petcock, I took the bike to autozone to buy some screws to attach my side logos to the bike since i wasnt sure where i had put my old screws.

Long story short, i punctured the tank because im an idiot :/ So, after trying to stem the bleeding outside of autozone until about 9:30pm (boguht some metal putty from there) I took the bike home.

The putty didnt really work so well, just slowed the leak down so this morning i searched around for my original screw, covered it in gasket stuff and screwed it in pretty tight. I just put some gas in the tank to see if it would leak and sure enough, a very slow stream of gas starts trickling down again :(

Any suggestions? Just try again with more gasket sealer? Or something else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2006 12:13 #66717 by Werewolfx
Replied by Werewolfx on topic Gas leak, from the side logo...
You've punctured the tank, so putting gasket sealer on the original screw wont help, you'll have to use the screw thats too long, and even then, you'll more than likely have to get another tank.

Chris

More
02 Aug 2006 12:14 #66718 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic Gas leak, from the side logo...
Werewolfx wrote:

You've punctured the tank, so putting gasket sealer on the original screw wont help, you'll have to use the screw thats too long, and even then, you'll more than likely have to get another tank.

*sigh* not what i wanted to hear :(

More
02 Aug 2006 13:32 #66726 by ambergrismooon
Replied by ambergrismooon on topic Gas leak, from the side logo...
I suppose depending on how far in the screw went and how big the hole is you might be able to get away with one of the tank liners such as Kreem or Por 15. That way it will seal from the inside. There is no way to seal it from the outside. Not behing the emblem mounting tabs unless you ditch the emblems and have tank emblem depressions leaded. Then you would need a new paint job as well. I'd try the tank sealers.

More
02 Aug 2006 13:36 #66728 by Robjb84
Well the problem is I just Kreemed the tank this last weekend and im not sure if I can re-kreem a kreemed tank? :o

Ugh, maybe I need to take a look at rattle canning and kreeming the tank I took off in the first place :(

More
02 Aug 2006 14:19 #66738 by amedeo
Replied by amedeo on topic Gas leak, from the side logo...
JB WELD,sandspot and make sure its clean.then use JB WELD.I've used it on holes bigger than that. OH, by the way,if you feel like removing the LOGO bracket like i did look for my old posts and do what everyone told me to do.If you want to follow my example ,get a bigger tube of JBWELD to fill the 22 cal. looking bullet hole

More
02 Aug 2006 15:06 #66746 by mykznme
Replied by mykznme on topic Gas leak, from the side logo...
ok wtf? jb weld is NOT metal. nor is it a substitute for metal.
its ok for pinhole and TINY cracks but dont expect it to be as good as metal on anything other.
if you go the jbweld way then i wouldnt even bother to paint it. as there really is no point.
my advise is find another tank or take it to a metalergist and have them remove the amblem bracket and braze the hole.
jb weld is alot like bondo in the fact that anything over an eighth of an inch is a lost cause.
it may hold for a couple of months.....hell maybe even a year but over time it will breakdown and you will be back at square one.
if it was a water tank it might be a different story but this is petrol were talkin bout.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

More
02 Aug 2006 15:06 #66747 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Gas leak, from the side logo...
I've gotten myself in trouble with a too long screw as well- oh wait, we're talking about motorcycles here...:whistle:
Did the new screw really punch through the tank? It sure sounds like it did, but without seeing it, I woulda thought the little emblem bracket would have just bent out as you ran the screw in? Is the tank wall that thin there?
It's a bummer for sure, but don't beat yourself up too bad. We have all done bonehead things, we just don't always admit to them!:unsure:

• jbw7300
  • User
  • you can't ride if your fried
More
02 Aug 2006 15:56 #66758 by jbw7300
Replied by jbw7300 on topic Gas leak, from the side logo...
go get yourself some gas/oil resistant rtv/sealer drain the tank remove emblem fill offending hole with sealer (use a q-tip to get into the hole) put the screw (the long one) in the emblem and coat screw threads with sealer reattach emblem to the tank, wait 24 hrs , refill with gas , that will hold ya (don't ask how i know this:P ) been 1200 miles like that ooops... I mean... I don't know how long it'll last.. yea yea thats the ticket............

84 kz 700 a1 sports

More
02 Aug 2006 17:28 #66777 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Gas leak, from the side logo...
Been there, done that, got the bruises on my forehead from palm- to-cranium contact for being so friggin' stupid.

I used Seal-All in a tube and it has not leaked for 16 months. Learned about Seal-All from a customer of mine who owns a radiator/gas tank repair business. Follow the instructions and be patient and you should be good 2 go within 24 hours, a lot less time than it takes to track down another tank that might look good on the outside but is pooched inside.\

Here is a bike mag review and the link to the manufacturer.

www.totalmotorcycle.com/reviews/SealAllGlueReview.htm

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
1977Kz650 Custom. Wiseco 810 and lottsa go fast goodies.

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2006/08/02 20:30

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
02 Aug 2006 19:23 #66817 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Gas leak, from the side logo...
only fill it half way. :P

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
03 Aug 2006 06:57 #66895 by Robjb84
lol thanks guys for the tips. Im feeling a lot more confident now, realyl dont want to do much more screwing around with this thing after I got done with the kreem and sealing up my leaky petcock.

I think JB Weld or the other seal stuff will work good, since right now with the original screw (not the one I made the puncture with) covered in gasket sealer the leak is VERY slow, i mean i can count to 20 before it has dripped a milimetre or two.

This weekend ill get to work on it. I dont need to drain the whole tank right? I mean, as long as the gas level is below the hole im sure im good to seal it?

Oh I also realised another dumb thing I did... :D I put a fuel filter on both lines coming from my petcock.. Me being a newb, didnt realise that one line was the vacuum line :P Was kind of wondering why there was never gas in that one...