Tank swapped out :D

More
01 Aug 2006 07:52 #66313 by Robjb84
Tank swapped out :D was created by Robjb84
Well, when I got my bike it had a tank on it that had somehow lost most of its paint. The guy that sold me the bike gave me a spare tank though that was fully painted, had a few dings and such in it but needed to be lined.

So, about a week and a half ago i went through the whole kreem process on the tank and yesterday I put it on. Think I like the bike ten times as much now :D

Before:

After:

Got to order a couple of side covers still and put the kawak logos back on oh and the pepcock is seeping gas a little...need to get some gasket in a tube or something. Coming together nicely though!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2006 08:47 #66325 by AzKZ650
Replied by AzKZ650 on topic Tank swapped out :D
Looks Good ;) I think I'm going to have to try the kreem process on a tank I got off ebay, did it go pretty smoothly ?

More
01 Aug 2006 08:53 #66327 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic Tank swapped out :D
Yeah it went fine, though it can take quite some time so make sure you start it in the morning if possible. I ended up finishing the process at 10pm on a sunday night since i started late.

Worst parts were getting the nuts and bolts out of the tank after i had put them in to loosen things up. That too forever :( Also it seemed to take a while to get the last bits of liquid out of the tank when I was doing the washout and etching. That and the gas cap on my tank doesnt really stop any kind of spillage, so i had to be careful there.

The kreem itself went fine, though i thought i had emptied out all of the excess, i left the tank for a week to dry and when i picked it up more kreem oozed out. So i did the ol rotating the tank in all directions for a while and set it down, then 3 days later i checked the tank out and it was dry, that was last night.

• wireman
  • Visitor
01 Aug 2006 09:57 #66352 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Tank swapped out :D
looks good!B)

More
01 Aug 2006 12:41 #66427 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Tank swapped out :D
Rob:
Your tank's petcock is probably leaking because of a bad o-ring seal.
Take a look at the diagram. O-rings are Items 8, 9, & 10.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:

More
01 Aug 2006 13:42 #66441 by Robjb84
Thanks for the diagram ltd

Actually it seems that gas is seeping out of the bolts retaining the petcock to the tank. Item 10 and 12 in the diagram. I think maybe the rubber washers on those bolts might be bad. Im going to put some kind of sealant onto the bolts and screw em back in.

Oh and just out of interest, what kind of danger level is there right now for me riding my bike with gas dripping, albeit slowly, off of the petcock? :o

More
01 Aug 2006 13:54 #66446 by Werewolfx
Replied by Werewolfx on topic Tank swapped out :D
hmm, at speed, not a tremendous amount of immediate danger, since the gas would be blowing off the petcock and onto your leg..but after a little ride, your leg may be highly flammable.

Chris

More
01 Aug 2006 14:06 #66457 by Robjb84
lol good job im not a smoker ;)

Actually what I did on my way to work was to stuff a piece of rag strategically so that it was soaking up the gas but not touching anything hot. Seemed to do the trick.. well, ill make some repairs tonight and hopefully it wont be an issue tomorrow.