Powder coating frame

More
30 Jul 2006 16:09 #65931 by rm3sweet
Powder coating frame was created by rm3sweet
I've got access to a company that does powder coating and he said he would do my frame for very little money. Has anyone done this? And what are the draw backs if any?
I also need to decide on color, he told me I can pretty much choose whatever and even in gloss!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
30 Jul 2006 16:16 #65932 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Powder coating frame
It's done all the time. For durability, you can't beat it - which is the only potential drawback; once it's on, it's ON, so you'd best be happy with the color you choose.

There are even chrome powder coat application that are pretty spiffy.

Don't exactly know what "very little money" means, but if it means the same thing to you it does to me, I'd go for it. B)

More
30 Jul 2006 16:19 #65933 by vic44139
Replied by vic44139 on topic Powder coating frame
cHECK OUT THIS CAT. I HAD SEVERAL CHATS WITH HIM ABOUT POWDER COATING. HE HAD HIS BIKE UP FOR SALE FOR AWHILE. ALL I CAN SAY IS IF YOU GO THROUGH WITH IT....ANYTHING BUT BLACK...LOL.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...6&func=detail&id=683

More
30 Jul 2006 17:28 #65947 by Johnno
Replied by Johnno on topic Powder coating frame
I had my frame powder coated, and the only thing I can recommend is making sure you have any threads on the frame protected before it gets coated, otherwise you're going to be spending a lot of time with a tap and die set.

So far, I haven't had any problems with my frame, and it looks great. Still looks glossy even a year after the work, no chips, and cleans up easily when you get dirt or oil on it. I am careful to not spill any gas or brake fluid on it, so I don't know how well it'll hold up to those fluids compared to paint.

I got mine done in black, as that was the deal for me. Free in black, $200 in any other color. How could I refuse? :D If I could go back, I would have done a shade of red for the hotrod look. But its all personal preference.

More
30 Jul 2006 17:37 #65949 by timber
Replied by timber on topic Powder coating frame
there is a place just up the road from me that will do one of their stock colors for $100 and what ever you can fi in the oven. the oven is big enough to fit a truck in! they have let me bring in special mix powders for them to use and they shoot it & bake it. gas, brake fluid doesnt touch it. it takes alot to get it off. alot of media blasting is about all you can do to get it off. i'm no expert in the stuff but it holds up great!

• wireman
  • Visitor
30 Jul 2006 18:07 #65958 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Powder coating frame
the guy who does my stuff gets $250.00 for a frame,but thats sandblasting and masking threads and all of that stuff included;)

More
30 Jul 2006 19:34 #65970 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic Powder coating frame
Unfortunately, the guy that blasted and coated my frame is no longer in business.:(
I took him a frame that had been outside unprotected for more than 10 years and for $200 he made it look like this.

Post edited by: inline4, at: 2006/07/30 22:35
Attachments:

More
30 Jul 2006 19:36 #65971 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic Powder coating frame
One more time
Attachments:

More
30 Jul 2006 23:52 #66014 by rm3sweet
Replied by rm3sweet on topic Powder coating frame
vic44139 wrote:

cHECK OUT THIS CAT. I HAD SEVERAL CHATS WITH HIM ABOUT POWDER COATING. HE HAD HIS BIKE UP FOR SALE FOR AWHILE. ALL I CAN SAY IS IF YOU GO THROUGH WITH IT....ANYTHING BUT BLACK...LOL.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...6&func=detail&id=683

Wow! That is some serious orange. It's cool but a little loud for me. I can get the powder coat for $60 by the way. The color is like I said, not decided and for that reason I want to be sure because it is so hard to get off once it's done. As far as preping the frame, I was going to use aircraft stripper and clean up the welds.

More
31 Jul 2006 15:01 #66155 by vic44139
Replied by vic44139 on topic Powder coating frame
Inline...is that gray or like an aspen green? I like it.
inline4 wrote:

One more time