Polishing the engine casing

More
24 Jul 2006 10:31 #64250 by CTupper
Polishing the engine casing was created by CTupper
I have seen posts regarding this several times, but they were far in depth for the most part and included instructions and tools that I have not used. Honestly I do now know a lot about bikes, technically or otherwise. That is why i'm here--to learn more.

What is a quick way to polish the aluminum engine casing and other metal parts on my bike? I am not confident in taking the casings off or anything like that, I just want to do the best I can without removing anything. I might be buying a 1982 KZ550 LTD today so long as my dad and I can't find anything wrong with it. If I do get it I am looking forward to doing some cosmetic work on this bike.

Thanks for any help I can get.

C. Tupper
Spokane, Wa
[maybe] 1982 KZ550 Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2006 10:49 #64257 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Polishing the engine casing
The engine (at least the outside) is made entirely of aluminum.
Some to the parts are 'cast', and some are 'machined'.
The cast parts are rough, and can be cleaned and brighted, but will never shine like chrome.
The machined parts have (or had) a smooth surface, and, with time and effort can shine like chrome.

So, clean the engine with a de-greaser and a stiff brush. I like Simple Green.

For cast parts (like the cooling fins): Use a scotchbrite pad dipped in Mothers Aluminum Polish. Rub it on. The paste will turn black. Wipe with a clean cloth. The more you do, the better it will look.

For the machined parts (like the timing plate cover): If it's still smooth, and not pitted or scratched, try Semichrome. Rub it on with a soft cloth, it turns black, and buff it off.

Engine polishing is something to do when you have time, and it's too cold or wet to ride. Grab a stool, some tunes, and some cold beer. An hour here and there will pay off.

Good luck.

Post edited by: ltdrider, at: 2006/07/24 13:50

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
24 Jul 2006 10:53 #64260 by CTupper
Replied by CTupper on topic Polishing the engine casing
thanks a lot, that was helpful. I have to say I am quite excited with the prospect of getting this bike. When I first saw it I thought to myself that it was a little too old looking, but then being on this site for a while I saw what I could do to it, and how the cosmetic issues can be fixed with a little work and a bit of money. And after that these KZ bikes are some of the best looking ones out there. I have never done anything more than put a coat of polish on my 250 REbel, and that was without knowing what I was doing, so I look forward to learning how to fix up this bike.

C. Tupper

More
24 Jul 2006 13:38 #64309 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic Polishing the engine casing
I like WD-40 and fine steel wool. It really does just take time, elbow grease, and inventive ways to wrap your abrasive around popsicle sticks to reach between the fins...

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

More
24 Jul 2006 18:54 #64401 by Werewolfx
Replied by Werewolfx on topic Polishing the engine casing
that '82 550 ltd will have a coating on the cooling fins and cam covers, polishing wont help em one bit, all you can do is clean em up. However, the ignition cover, sprocket cover, clutch cover, and stator cover are all very easily polishable. I wetsanded mine with a bit of 800 grit wet or dry sandpaper with watered down simple green for the water, then repeated with 1500 grit and 2000 grit, followed by a good rub down with mothers mag and aluminum polish.

Chris

More
24 Jul 2006 19:06 #64404 by WharfRat
Replied by WharfRat on topic Polishing the engine casing
Everything you need right here.
www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alpolkit.htm
They've got a how-to,and a forum devoted to metal finishing. Careful,I've found out that polishing can be highly addictive.:laugh:

Kenosha,WI
1979 KZ 400B2
1980 KZ 750 E1
1979 KZ 650 B3

More
24 Jul 2006 21:14 #64447 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic Polishing the engine casing
Mothers polish is the sh*t, gotta agree with ltdrider on the tunes stool and beer. More you rub cleaner she will be.

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
27 Jul 2006 14:53 #65239 by securitygeek
Replied by securitygeek on topic Polishing the engine casing
I thought that Muthers Al. Polish and 000 fine steel wool worked great, and pretty fast. My covers were removed from the bike when I first did them, but touch-ups on the bike are easy too. Check the link in my signature, eventually you can find some before and after pictures (I really should take more pictures and organize!)

More
27 Jul 2006 19:20 #65318 by heartless
Replied by heartless on topic Polishing the engine casing
sos soap pads are really good for severly oxidized aluminum...dont get too aggressive with them, just enough pressure to remove the nasties, then rinse thouroughly, then follow up with a good polish and lots of elbow grease...before you know it you have nice shiny aluminum again (and a sore arm!! :ohmy: :laugh: )

More
29 Jul 2006 18:53 #65765 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic Polishing the engine casing
heartless wrote:

sos soap pads are really good for severly oxidized aluminum...dont get too aggressive with them, just enough pressure to remove the nasties, then rinse thouroughly, then follow up with a good polish and lots of elbow grease...before you know it you have nice shiny aluminum again (and a sore arm!! :ohmy: :laugh: )

Whats an sos soap pad and where can I find one? :o

I bought some of that mothers wax and just to see what would happen, i did a little buffing on my already dirty/dull engine casing and definitely the mothers looks like it will give me good results since right away things were looking shinier. Want to get my engine sparkling though, or at least pit free and kinda shiny :)

More
29 Jul 2006 19:25 #65778 by spark363
Replied by spark363 on topic Polishing the engine casing
securitygeek...what paint did you use on the jugs and valve assemblies? Was the engine out when you did this?

More
29 Jul 2006 21:49 #65811 by Powder Keg
Replied by Powder Keg on topic Polishing the engine casing
Hello All,

A few weeks ago I bought my first real bike. It's a 1977 KZ650B. It's in pretty good shape and I'm planing on turning it into a Cruiser. There is a bunch of good information here and I thought I'd help contribute to the cause.

Well I found a little time today to start polishing my engine cases. They are pretty oxidized and there is a small amount of rash on them. Here is what they looked like before I started on them.

As you can see they weren't very pretty. I started with a fine flat file. I used the file only on the bad areas. These took the most time. If you do this get a file card and keep your file clean or you will put more scratches in the case that will have to be sanded out.

I have the top part of the clutch case cleaned almost up. When I started to sand I could see the spots that need to be filed a bit more so I would stop and file those spots then continue to sand. The sand paper I am using is 220 grit wet dry paper I picked up at Wally world.

I think they are coming along pretty nice. This took me about a beer and a half to do. A six pack should take care of it. After I get it all sanded with the 220 grit I'll move to the 300 then the 400. I should be able to polish it then. I tried to polish a small spot with the Mothers and the oxidation was to deep. I would suggest sanding the oxidation away.

After I get these polished, I'll install the brand new case guards that just showed up. This will help protect my hard work