Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 29 May 2024 16:18 #899978

• Aviator
  • Aviator's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
that could very well be, as there are some points where the metal and paint still feel smooth, while the bubbly paint feels like it's in ''spots'' that have clumped together. it was definitely something that was liquid, because the right side has more corrrosion to the side of the fuel tank, which indicates it has been stored standing on the kickstand and being tilted to the left. however would this not have effect on the leather of the seat as well? because the seat is still in good condition. 
i have been having worries about the repainting as well, however i'll take the problems 1 at a time.

what tools or equipment would i need for putting this fuel tank under pressure? since this is my first project i don't have everything required to put this idea into practice. however i will see whether i can find someone through some contacts that can help me.
TR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 29 May 2024 17:18 #899983

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 408
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYou would need to plug the holes (fuel cap and petcock) while also allowing for air to be pumped in via a hand/foot pump or a compressor. If you can not do that you could fill it with water and see if it leaks. This would not be the same as putting it under pressure but if there are leaks filled with water then it would be more so under pressure.

I did find this listing on ebay.de for a tank.  

File Attachment:

File Name: New Text D... (2).txt
File Size:0 KB
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT
Attachments:

Last edit: by gd4now.

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 29 May 2024 17:20 #899984

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1985
If you want, you can send your tank to me in Germany.
I can offer you a free rescue atemptt.
I did a lot of tanks in this bad conditon like yours.

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 29 May 2024 17:39 #899986

• Aviator
  • User
i will try it with water first, since there is some fuel left inside the fuel tank which i still want to clean out as well. also if you could send the Ebay listing again that would be much appreciated. right now its a .txt file which i cannot open.

thank you for letting me know, whereabouts in germany are you located? i live in the south of the Netherlands close to the border so maybe we can arrange something.
TR

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 29 May 2024 18:37 #899991

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 143
A #9 rubber plug with a schrader would work for pressurizing the tank. A plumming supply store should have one. Just install a petcock to seal that opening.

Attachment not found

94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

Last edit: by ckahleer.

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 29 May 2024 20:11 #899994

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
I am located in a town in NRW (North Rhine Westfalen) called Plettenberg. It´s agra county side and industial automotive industry area.We have a lot of curvy hill and forest roads like the famous "Tail of dragon, america’s number one motorcycle and sports car road" and dozent of biker meeting points around the water resource dams and lakes like Möhne, Bigge, Sorpe dam. It´a biker paradise of some kind of wanna be race driver from the local area from theRuhrgebiet (Bochum, Essen, Dortmund) aka "Kohlenpott" and the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, that let off steam on the roads.

Operation "Züchtigung" the destroying of the Möhne dam with a bounzing bomb by the RAF.

than

and now

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 29 May 2024 20:23 #899995

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
The Bigge Grill biker meeting point.

Attachments:

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 29 May 2024 21:02 #899997

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 302
Scirocco, thanks for sharing the before and after photos of the Mohne dam.  When in high school (50 years ago) a history teacher sparked my interest in WWII Europe.  Since then I've read and viewed all I could find about the conflict, strategies, people, etc.  Around that same time I was able to visit the invasion beaches and cemeteries in Normandy which reinforced the history lessons.  
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 30 May 2024 00:57 #900000

• Aviator
  • User
I never realised i lived pretty close to such a beautiful place, looks like a blast of a place to ride. Now i regret not having a license yet. I will definitely come ride there and do some sightseeing once i do though.

to be honest i'd feel guilty having you attempt to fix this fuel tank for free, so i'll throw something in for you. 

I will clean out the fuel tank with water and see if there are any leaks while i'm at it, so i'll keep you updated on that. After i'm done we can figure out the details of gettinf the fuel tank to you.
TR

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 30 May 2024 01:18 #900002

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 2062

I am located in a town in NRW (North Rhine Westfalen) called Plettenberg. It´s agra county side and industial automotive industry area.We have a lot of curvy hill and forest roads like the famous "Tail of dragon, america’s number one motorcycle and sports car road" and dozent of biker meeting points around the water resource dams and lakes like Möhne, Bigge, Sorpe dam. It´a biker paradise of some kind of wanna be race driver from the local area from theRuhrgebiet (Bochum, Essen, Dortmund) aka "Kohlenpott" and the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, that let off steam on the roads.

Scirocco my wife is from Heringen (near Hamm) so I have been there a few times, it is stunning. I have to say as an Englishman I felt quite uncomfortable the first time looking at the memorial plaque with pictures of the Lancaster that dropped the bomb and knowing the devastation it caused to the towns and people on the lower level, but I guess "that's war" 
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 30 May 2024 01:22 #900003

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
Okay, iI wish you good luck with it and hope your tank don´t finaly only useable as a watering can!
I stay tuned for the result and thumbs up.

Corroded fuel tank for KZ250LTD 31 May 2024 06:09 #900039

• Aviator
  • User
the tank has been filled up with water and has no leaks, only at the fuel cap but i need to buy a new fuel cap anyway so no surprises there. i don't know how it'd act under pressure though.
for now i'm letting her drain and letting the water dry before i continue.

TR