• Page:

TOPIC:

But wait, there's more. Re: Kaw tank 03 Feb 2023 05:23 #879710

• 78kawltd
  • 78kawltd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 1978 B2, 06 Heritage Softail,
  • Thank you received: 23
Need some experienced Kaw restoration help please.  Got another darn rusty kz tank question.  I have noticed some interior tank rust developing.  Appears to be surface rust at the bottom of the gas tank. Not flaky rust.  The rust is seen at the seams, left and right.  The tank had been coated with Kreem ( a white – tan color inside)  by the PO and not a great job obviously.  Ie,  No flow or coverage to the seams.This spring, I am considering a vinegar wash with screws to remove the surface rust at the seams. I do Not plan to strip the Kreem coating off.  It seems to be okay and not flaking or any residue.Anybody had a similar experience with good results to achieve some effective preventative maintenance to save the tank from further rust but not remove the tank liner with a complete chemical strip method?     Or thoughts or suggestions on moving forward with the cleaning of the interior surface rust at the bottom seams.  

To Summarize:   With your experienced opinion, would a vinegar tank wash with screws ( or similar item ) be a good and effective method to effectively clean the rusty tank seams ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 78kawltd. Reason: expand on the question

But wait, there's more. Re: Kaw tank 03 Feb 2023 16:58 #879761

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 304
I've cleaned out a bunch of gas tanks and to be honest I would get a new tank from Z1 parts. We're lucky that new tanks are available for a reasonable price. Try to get a tank for a Interceptor 1000 or a 80 GS 1100E,
I've seen bad things happen when Kreem tank liners fail, it is just not worth it when you can get a new tank with cap and emblems for $400.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78kawltd

But wait, there's more. Re: Kaw tank 03 Feb 2023 17:07 #879762

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2670

Need some experienced Kaw restoration help please.  Got another darn rusty kz tank question.  I have noticed some interior tank rust developing.  Appears to be surface rust at the bottom of the gas tank. Not flaky rust.  The rust is seen at the seams, left and right.  The tank had been coated with Kreem ( a white – tan color inside)  by the PO and not a great job obviously.  Ie,  No flow or coverage to the seams.This spring, I am considering a vinegar wash with screws to remove the surface rust at the seams. I do Not plan to strip the Kreem coating off.  It seems to be okay and not flaking or any residue.Anybody had a similar experience with good results to achieve some effective preventative maintenance to save the tank from further rust but not remove the tank liner with a complete chemical strip method?     Or thoughts or suggestions on moving forward with the cleaning of the interior surface rust at the bottom seams.  

To Summarize:   With your experienced opinion, would a vinegar tank wash with screws ( or similar item ) be a good and effective method to effectively clean the rusty tank seams ?

Forget about it.  Strip the Kreem using MEK, derust with phosphoric acid, then assess true condition of the tank.  

And BTW, a 1980 GS1100E tank is same as the 750E.  Not overly hard to find.  Now the GS1000E tank, with indent stripe, is a totally different matter...

Last edit: by Nessism.

But wait, there's more. Re: Kaw tank 03 Feb 2023 17:55 #879764

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
MEK = Methylethylketon (Butanon)

Last edit: by Scirocco.

But wait, there's more. Re: Kaw tank 05 Feb 2023 16:02 #879829

• 78kawltd
  • Sustaining Member
Is MEK readily available In the USA at the retail level ?  I saw products listed as MEK Substitute.  Lowes, Amazon, etc.   Gimme the good stuff ?  

​​​

But wait, there's more. Re: Kaw tank 18 Feb 2023 18:46 #880413

• dkoz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
The tank on my 78 ltd in profile picture had a failing tank lining. 
I used MEK soaking it for a total of 24 hours.   Rinsing well and then filling it with a bag of aquarium gravel I put it in the clothes dryer packed with cushions around it and tumbled it for an hour no heat..
it took 3 days and 4 rounds of this process before the lining was gone. 
I wasn't paying attention on the second soak and in the heat the MEK bubbled up and ruined the paint around my fuel inlet. . Luckily the fuel cap when closed hid the bad paint. .  I never coated the inside again just kept fuel full. 
1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

But wait, there's more. Re: Kaw tank 18 Feb 2023 18:52 #880414

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1849
I was able to remove failed tank liner (brand unkown) with Acetone. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

But wait, there's more. Re: Kaw tank 18 Feb 2023 20:54 #880416

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 370

I was able to remove failed tank liner (brand unkown) with Acetone. 

Thankfully it's available in gallon cans at Lowes. I picked some up to turn expanded polystyrene into plain polystyrene.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

But wait, there's more. Re: Kaw tank 19 Feb 2023 06:20 #880423

• 78kawltd
  • Sustaining Member
Spring is nearby.  Hope to tackle the task with some warmth. The plan is to drain the gas,  wash rinse, repeat.  Assess the rusty seams. Clean and Assess the Reuseable KN fuel filters.  Evaluate the Top of the tank where the Current liner seems to be ok.   then Begin the process to either remove the rust at the seams or strip everything - including the liner.
I feel there might be some  hope for the tank with a wash, rinse and rust removal at the seams.  Once again,  appears to be early surface rust - only at the seams.  No flaking.
 Definitely don't intend to cut corners.  It'll be a progressive approach.  As needed.

​​​​​

• Page: