Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Side badge paint? 28 Apr 2021 05:31 #847603

• TheTrout
  • TheTrout's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55
My KZ has not wore her side badges in almost 30 years.  They've been sitting in my tool box.  One is not in bad shape, has a bit of patina to it.  The other must have found it's way to the bottom of the tool box because it is looking rough.  I have searched and searched and have not found any good posts on restoring the paint on these old badges.  They are metallic, not plastic, from a 1978 KZ1000B2 (LTD).  Any suggestions on how to strip and repaint these things?  I have a pic of them, and although I work in IT as a programmer, I am not smart enough to figure out how to post  a pic....help?!

1978 KZ1000B2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Side badge paint? 28 Apr 2021 06:19 #847604

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
To spray the background I apply a very light coating of grease to the lettering, spray engine enamel, let it dry, wipe off the grease, then bake the emblems in a low temp oven to cure.  Then do the same for the lettering.  To apply the grease I just barely touch the grease w my index finger, then touch my finger & thumb together to remove the excess. wipe off your thumb & touch again if necessary.   It doesn't take much grease. too much will get it where you don't want it.  I use denatured alcohol to wipe off any excess.  This method is kind of a pain if you mess up, but the emblems are small so it won't waste much time.  Something like an engine cover or wheel is much easier to do this way.  There may be a liquid masking tape that you could use. 

ps:  some guys use Testors model kit paint, especially for the lettering.

Here's an engine cover I did.  Something big like this is easy because the grease is easy to apply & you only have to spray one color.
note: the background is fully painted. light is reflecting off the paint along the edges of the raised areas.  

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Side badge paint? 28 Apr 2021 10:18 #847625

• TheTrout
  • TheTrout's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55
well I need 3 colors, white, red, and black.  Testors model paint is a good idea.  Can these pot metal badges hold up to paint stripper?  Would that even take the paint off?
1978 KZ1000B2

Side badge paint? 28 Apr 2021 12:05 #847631

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Three colors shouldn't be that much more work >> emblems are small. 
It seems like paint stripper ought to work.  I put them in brake fluid & gave it time.  I don't recall how long. maybe a day or two. maybe a tad longer.  I forget.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: