Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dented gas tank repair advice request 07 Nov 2020 09:02 #838207

• peter_e
  • peter_e's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a deep dent in my 1978 KZ1000A2 tank, and also a shallower dent nearby. A couple of local paintless dent repair places have told me the dent is too much for them to undertake. It seems to me that the way to go about fixing it is to cut an opening into the tank, beat out the dings, then weld it back up. Trouble is that my panel beating and welding skills are not up to this. So, does anyone know of a shop that could take this on? The inside of the tank is perfect, just about as clean and rust free as a new tank, which is why I think it’s worth saving. Any advice?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dented gas tank repair advice request 07 Nov 2020 10:13 #838209

• cb900f
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
Welding some puller studs to it and pulling the dent out might be less intrusive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Dented gas tank repair advice request 07 Nov 2020 10:32 #838210

• Daftrusty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 184
I can suggest something that I tried and worked great, because I also had a dented tank that PDR wanted 3x the price of the tank to fix and no body shop wanted to weld puller pins too. (Tanks are so thin the weld on pins have a habit of burning through the tank.

Get some plumbing silver solder, solder flux, bare steel elevator bolt with nut, slide hammer and a propane torch.
Remove paint from damaged area, heat area, apply flux, get solder to stick to the bare metal of tank, then solder the bolt to the tank.
Then screw on nut or attach the slide hammer to the bolt how ever you wish . (My slide hammer had a claw that I hooked under the nut ) proceed to gently pull out the dent. You can easily unsolder the bolt and move it around.
When you are satisfied with the end result, remove the bolt and wipe the molten solder off with a wet rag.
No chance of burning a hole through the tank like when welding or brazing on pins. Plus all the supplies cost under $50...or much less if you already have a torch.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter_e

Dented gas tank repair advice request 07 Nov 2020 12:16 #838213

• 73z1
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I have a deep dent in my 1978 KZ1000A2 tank,
You sure do, I would buy a tank on ebay.
Someone with experience can cut a hole in bottom, pound out with 1" rod, weld plug over hole, this can be done for parts they are not available, you have better options.

Dented gas tank repair advice request 16 Feb 2022 06:20 #862453

• Ian_B
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
73Z1, how about this: 

Yours is a bit worse, but if the tank is to be repainted, this might get you close enough to finishing the job with a thin skim of filler.
Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC

• Page: