TOPIC:

Paint code for midnight blue 17 Oct 2020 08:58 #837068

• Jetharris1964
  • Jetharris1964's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi does anyone know paint code for old midnight blue
Z650 sr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Paint code for midnight blue 17 Oct 2020 09:54 #837069

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
I think the code is 8E

Paint code for midnight blue 17 Oct 2020 11:24 #837076

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThere are no bona fide paint codes for old Kawasakis. Try PaintWorkz. He's probably done the paint for a KZ1000 in midnight blue. I'd guess it's the same color as the SR.

Alternatively, here's some EB paint... (I don't know anything about this seller)

Paint code for midnight blue 17 Oct 2020 12:29 #837082

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member

martin_csr wrote: There are no bona fide paint codes for old Kawasakis.

Martin,
If you look at the parts fishe under fuel tank for example you will see that there is a suffix on the part number for the different colors. I take this to mean the number is a color code. Mind you this information is pretty useless unless some paint manufacturer makes a formula to match the color. That's a different matter though. The OP asked for a paint code thus my response...

Attachments:

Last edit: by Nessism.

Paint code for midnight blue 17 Oct 2020 18:44 #837103

• martin_csr
  • User
AFAIK, those part number suffixes aren't useable as paint codes in and of themselves. Someone like Painworkz would have to come up with a matching paint by scanning old body work. Then they would have a code which they could then say matches the 8E or whatever the suffix happens to be.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Paint code for midnight blue 17 Oct 2020 18:58 #837104

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
When I needed paint for a few projects I took a sample part to a paint supply house and they matched the color. Most places have a computer that can scan the color and output a recommended formula, and from there the color match expert in the shop adjusted the color according to his trained eye. The formula will be different for each paint system of course.

OP didn't ask for this info though, he asked for the color code. With modern vehicles you can use the color code to find a formula for each paint system. Back when I worked in the automotive industry I had weekend access to a full paint shop including their mixing station. We used PPG Deltron, great stuff. There were books of colors to choose from with a formula for each. Those were the good ol days.

Paint code for midnight blue 18 Oct 2020 06:47 #837127

• martin_csr
  • User
Thanks. I was assuming he's looking for a useable color code so that he can order some paint, in which case those part number "codes" probably wouldn't do him any good. Kind of related, I've considered getting the sundance blue from that seller I linked above to repaint my original tank & side covers in the stock color. I have no idea if his price is reasonable, though. doh.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Paint code for midnight blue 21 Oct 2020 01:52 #837356

• shap
  • User
I'll get some photos up when the sun comes out. I had my new 4.5 gal tank, new rear z1 fender, and new side covers painted, decaled, and clear coated to match my original 77 LTD midnight blue. She took a scan of the paint and the computer spit out: Panther Black instead of midnight blue. I have to say, it's a match, I don't understand why.

I took the original LTD parts off with original paint in excellent condition, and put them away. I liked the original paint color and decals, I just like the big gas tank better, and I changed to a z1 oval rear light, so I changed the rear fender to fit the oval light. The painter used the same computer scanner to match my z900rs paint to color-match my helmet. It works

Paint code for midnight blue 21 Oct 2020 07:38 #837374

• PaintWorkz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 68
77 LTD 1000 was a tri-coat color....a black base, silver mid-coat flake, and a candy purple top coat. I have a good match for it. Computer scans just spit out a close metallic car color, close but not the same effect as a Candy Tri-Coat out in the sun.
www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

Paint code for midnight blue 21 Oct 2020 07:49 #837375

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

PaintWorkz wrote: 77 LTD 1000 was a tri-coat color....a black base, silver mid-coat flake, and a candy purple top coat. I have a good match for it. Computer scans just spit out a close metallic car color, close but not the same effect as a Candy Tri-Coat out in the sun.

Exactly! The paint on my metallic regal blue 1977 KZ650-C1 consisted of 4 different coats. It is not possible to get the same effect by using primer plus a single top coat. If it was possible I am quite sure Kawasaki would have done it that way. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Paint code for midnight blue 21 Oct 2020 07:59 #837377

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member

650ed wrote: Exactly! The paint on my metallic regal blue 1977 KZ650-C1 consisted of 4 different coats. It is not possible to get the same effect by using primer plus a single top coat. If it was possible I am quite sure Kawasaki would have done it that way. Ed

Almost nobody uses single stage metallic these days. It's almost universally base coat + clear coat. If you go to a paint store they will most likely recommend a two stage like this (the primer doesn't count as a stage.)

Paint code for midnight blue 26 Oct 2020 11:09 #837754

• shap
  • User
It's not a perfect match to the original, but I'm happy with it. Living out here in Hawaii, my options are limited. The shipping to/from the mainland is cost prohibitive and will likely end in scratches and tears. My local painter did pretty well with what I gave her. I replaced everything with new parts instead of a repaint so I can put my originals away someplace safe. Last pic is of the original tank still on the bike for comparison.
Attachments:

Last edit: by shap.
  • Page: