Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

78 kz650b back rest 11 Aug 2020 13:41 #832664

• KZclams
  • KZclams's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Does anyone know what kind of sissybar or grab bar would fit on a 78 kz650b? Are there aftermarket ones or any hacks anyone knows about, i know its a sin to put a sissy bar on it but i gotta keep my young daughter from falling off...its just gonna be on occasionally. :) Thanks, -Clams

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 kz650b back rest 11 Aug 2020 14:46 #832670

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I know that a lot of folks use them, but if you add a sissy bar please be very careful. Many years ago I had a very full size dump truck pull out in front of me. I was on my BSA. Even though I braked hard I hit the back of the dump truck dead center. My head, with a Bell helmet on it, hit the heavy steel frame under the truck's tailgate. That impact stopped me from moving forward, but the bike kept going which slid me off the back of the bike. I ended up semi-conscious with a small piece missing from the front of the helmet. The bike went under the truck until its front tire hit the truck's differential. If that bike had a sissy bar it would have kept me from sliding off the back of the bike which probably would have resulted in a broken neck or damaged spine. So again, please be careful! Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

78 kz650b back rest 11 Aug 2020 14:49 #832671

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Howdy. K&G universal fit luggage racks can be found all over EB, often times listed according to what old motorcycle they were on & seem to have been used on Hondas pretty often. Occasionally you can find a nice one. The sliding shock mount arms vary >> the ones in the pic are probably the best for a KZ650. I have a similar, if not identical luggage rack mounted to my 650-CSR.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

78 kz650b back rest 12 Aug 2020 11:33 #832729

• KZclams
  • User
Thank you both, thats a horror story 650ed, glad yer alive and hopefully well. I'll check into the k&g's thanks.

78 kz650b back rest 12 Aug 2020 14:30 #832735

• martin_csr
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThere are a million ways to bite the dust on a motorcycle. A harley guy warned me about the dangers of riding without a windshield >> said he hit a vulture or some other big bird one time & is convinced he would've been a goner without the shield.

edit: here's a LR that was on a Goldwing. It has a sliding backrest which might be good for getting a passenger seated properly. I don't know how durable the sliders are, though. The luggage rack in the pic above is purported to be pretty stout & the sissy bar bolts to it. The goldwing rack otherwise should be stout as well. Also, you might need to swap out the shock mount arms. but maybe not.

ps: I don't recommend taking a passenger, especially a minor. motorcycles are dangerous, you could hit a bird.

78 kz650b back rest 12 Aug 2020 14:47 #832736

• martin_csr
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHere's a NOS K&G. I can't tell what all it has. looks like there are some extra black mounts, not sure what they are.

78 kz650b back rest 13 Aug 2020 10:22 #832790

• KZclams
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks for all the replies, i found one too, here it is.
Its says it came off a 70's kz650 but not what year and not a bad price... think it will fit? My bike has that tail piece in back of the seat.

Attachments:

Last edit: by KZclams.

78 kz650b back rest 13 Aug 2020 11:13 #832794

• martin_csr
  • User
I'm not sure about that luggage rack as it's different than the one I got.
My KZ650-CSR doesn't have the ducktail, but the rack is kind of wide & the mounting brackets give it some offset.

NOS mounting kit I installed.

Not sure if this pic is any help, but the rack is about 2-1/4" wider than the fender on each side, and I think if my motorcycle had a ducktail, the rack would clear it easily.

78 kz650b back rest 15 Aug 2020 16:08 #832981

• KZclams
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks guys!
I ended up getting that one I posted for 100$ and free shipping, it comes tuesday. Thinking of buying this windshield from ebay too. Anyone have any experience with windshields? After the bird story and being pelted with dozens of bugs at night i figured might be a good idea.

Was thinking one from these guys, they have several styles...

Last edit: by KZclams.
  • Page: