Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Removing Rust several options compared 10 Apr 2020 08:47 #823013

• loudhvx
  • loudhvx's Avatar Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Maybe some of you already have seen this guy's youtube channel. I just discovered it.
He does some basic comparisons on various motor/construction related topics. He really must spend hours/days putting these videos together. The best part is he gets to the point without any slack-jawing.

In this video he compares a few rust removers and controls against water.
He not only compares the ability to remove rust, but compares their ability to NOT harm steel, aluminum, or paint.

For example, muriatic acid removes rust the fastest, but it also erodes steel the fastest, and causes flash rusting rto happen right away.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Removing Rust several options compared 10 Apr 2020 18:30 #823050

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Molasses, who knew???
Thanks Lou
78 KZ1000 A2A

Removing Rust several options compared 10 Apr 2020 22:17 #823061

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1853
I’m a big fan of Apple Cider Viniger. Vigilance is key, or it will really darken the item. I scrub the parts with a stainless steel brush and Greased Lightening degreaser and then immediately in an overnight soak in WD-40 to stop flash rust. Metal Rescue works well on chrome to remove the rust, I just used it to cleanup the rear shocks. Maybe not the best but works for me.

Thanks Loudvhx
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Removing Rust several options compared 10 Apr 2020 22:35 #823063

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Nice test but he forgot to test phosphoric acid. It's super effective against rust and is much less damaging than the muratic acid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone, Scirocco

Removing Rust several options compared 11 Apr 2020 09:51 #823096

• loudhvx
  • loudhvx's Avatar Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
He did other videos on the topic and I think he included phosphoric then. He also included Coca Cola since it has phosphoric acid in it. The Coke did almost nothing. I don't recall the details on the phosphoric acid result, but in that test I think he only did rust removal, and did not include the steel preservation.

Removing Rust several options compared 12 Apr 2020 06:30 #823139

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 595
We've used a product called Metal Rescue with good results.

Depending on the item, we really like electrolytic rust removal using washing soda. Leaves an oxide layer that resists rust. Used solution is non-toxic. But then slmjim is a cross between a nerd & a gadget head, so there's that...

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Removing Rust several options compared 12 Apr 2020 06:45 #823142

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Phosphoric acid ruined a chrome header pipe of mine. I didn't soak it overnight or anything like that. I just made an aluminum foil boat & rotated the exhaust pipe in the solution for a few minutes. Something I learned was that if the exhaust pipes are rusty, try running the motorcycle to full operating temps before using any chemicals >> the rust pretty much burned off the other 3 pipes & the chrome looked fine other than the exhaust blueing & minor pitting. This was a junk exhaust system in poor condition, so ruining that one pipe was no big deal.

Rust treatment & prevention. On the back side of chrome steel parts I clean off as much rust as possible, then use a rust converter spray from the auto parts store, then top coat with a spray paint or spray coating. On the muffler heat shields I use-b-que grill paint. On the tail light bracket, headlight bucket & other similar parts, silver wheel paint is good. For the fenders I use a rubberized undercoating. I hate rust, so just about every chrome steel part on my motorcycle has been treated. I think the only thing I haven't done is the chrome chain guard, but it's usually coated in chain sling, so it's automatically protected. hee.

Rustoleum silver bar-b-que grill paint. Cleaned insides of muffler system by various means & used EvapoRust,
then painted insides & exterior manifold section w bbq paint. Paint still intact.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Removing Rust several options compared 12 Apr 2020 08:13 #823148

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
Oxalic acid is the stuff for chrome. It's safe for painted parts too. The bicycle restoration guys swear by the stuff. Oxalic acid comes in many deck washing products and is dirt cheap and safe to dispose of. I filled an old garbage can with water and some oxalic acid powder and dunked my entire exhaust system in it with good results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr

Last edit: by Nessism.

Removing Rust several options compared 12 Apr 2020 12:28 #823168

• hammmy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I thought it was odd that he used Evapo-Rust in his later comparison video rather than the phosphoric acid-based products (Krud Kutter, Naval Jelly) that outperformed the other products in his first video. Perhaps he liked the non-toxic and reusable aspects of Evapo-Rust? Or maybe he's just a clever marketer who knew that molasses getting curbstomped by phosphoric acid wouldn't draw views until the 10-minute ad marker on YouTube videos.

How does one safely dispose of phosphoric acid, anyways?
1980 KZ750-4 LTD H1

Removing Rust several options compared 12 Apr 2020 14:15 #823179

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
I've got a gallon of Kleen Strip Etch and Prep (phosphoric acid) and after using it I pour it back into the jug and recycle it again and again. A sludge builds up on the bottom of the jug but just leave it there and pour off whatever quantity you need for the job at hand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hammmy

Removing Rust several options compared 12 Apr 2020 14:26 #823181

• gordone
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 67

Nessism wrote: Nice test but he forgot to test phosphoric acid. It's super effective against rust and is much less damaging than the muratic acid.

I love it! :)
1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

Removing Rust several options compared 13 Apr 2020 04:13 #823208

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245

Nessism wrote: Oxalic acid is the stuff for chrome. It's safe for painted parts too. The bicycle restoration guys swear by the stuff. Oxalic acid comes in many deck washing products and is dirt cheap and safe to dispose of. I filled an old garbage can with water and some oxalic acid powder and dunked my entire exhaust system in it with good results.

This.

I buy it online fairly inexpensive. Just dump the water out in your driveway when done, also used as wood bleach.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• Page: