Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fairing mount? Air Tech fairing? 30 Jul 2019 06:53 #808422

• Serpent7
  • Serpent7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Nothing professionally, only for fun...
  • Thank you received: 3
Air Tech makes a very nice fairing for a KZ1000 I am interested in: airtech-streamlining.com

Im interested in the, "Johnny the boy" fairing (DUC91) they have listed for almost $200 that does not include the windscreen and fairing mounting brackets. The mounting brackets on their website (UB1, and UB2). www.airtech-streamlining.com/miscpages/brackets.html#price UB1 is $210! The UB2 bracket is only $20. After you factor in the windshield you are easily in the $500 range just for a front fairing? My question is, is there another mount that is cheaper Ican use? I'm not paying $500 just for a half front fairing! That is crazy! Am I missing something? You can buy a whole bike if you look hard enough for $500! Does anyone have a better Idea for mounting this fairing "neatly" to a KZ?

Thanks,
19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
79 Volkswagen Transporter
73 Volkswagen Thing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fairing mount? Air Tech fairing? 31 Jul 2019 05:48 #808480

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Mounting a fairing can be a pain, especially without model specific hardware. For alternatives to Air Tech maybe look into the mounting brackets available for other brands, such as National Cycle, Maier, Emgo, Slip Streamer, Vetter, Harley-Davidson, etc. new or used.

SlipStreamer has various universal adjustable kits, some of which have mounting points at the handlebars & forks, but some of them won't give a neat or unobtrusive installation. I installed a vintage Emgo fairing w slip-streamer #028 hardware kit. 2 bar clamps & 2 fork clamps.
note: the handlebar mounts don't obscure the meter faces.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serpent7

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Fairing mount? Air Tech fairing? 31 Jul 2019 06:17 #808481

• Move0ver
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
I have one of the airtech universal brackets and it's not worth it.

Your best bet, is to find someone who does welding and fabrication/machining. Bring the bike and the fairing to them and have them make a custom bolt up bracket for you. (one that mounts to the steering stem via a U-bolt).

It will cost the same as the airtech one but will work WAY better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serpent7

Fairing mount? Air Tech fairing? 01 Aug 2019 12:35 #808562

• Serpent7
  • Serpent7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Nothing professionally, only for fun...
  • Thank you received: 3

Move0ver wrote: I have one of the airtech universal brackets and it's not worth it.

Your best bet, is to find someone who does welding and fabrication/machining. Bring the bike and the fairing to them and have them make a custom bolt up bracket for you. (one that mounts to the steering stem via a U-bolt).

It will cost the same as the airtech one but will work WAY better.

We have two machine shops in my area that do decent work(just decent, not great) but, there prices are SKYHIGH! I had them drill out the centers (dead center) of two car rims for me @ 67mm and it was $250. The other machine shop made a double threaded bolt (threaded on both sides but different sizes) 2 of them and it was $70!!! These where done 5+ years ago! I can only imagine what they charge now?! My area is the worse when it comes to service oriented work!
19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
79 Volkswagen Transporter
73 Volkswagen Thing

Last edit: by Serpent7.
  • Page: