Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 09 Aug 2018 13:58 #788533

• JohnLuke
  • JohnLuke's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
  • Thank you received: 5
I’m sure I’ll get a few people laughing at me but I need help.

I’m spraying everything with transtar epoxy primer.

I juast got the frame and the swing are sandblasted today. The dude said all I’d have to do is blow it off and it’s ready for primer. My flat seat pan, brake leaver, coil mounts, and the triple tree and a few other parts I have wire wheeled them to remove the rust and create a surface to paint on. But I was noticing that the is a lot of crap in the surface especially on the metal. What would be the best way to clean the surface? I have acetone , simple green and 99.99% alcohol. A friend said that would do the trick. I do have mineral spirits be people said no to use that.

For the aluminum parts can I use the mineral spirits cuz it won’t rust? And for all the metal parts can I just use the acetone?

I guess another question I would have is what are the cons of using spirits? Flash rust, not removing oils/grease?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 09 Aug 2018 13:59 #788534

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
Thais is the alcohol he recommended.
Attachments:

Last edit: by JohnLuke.

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 09 Aug 2018 14:06 #788535

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
A spray can of brake cleaner/degrease do a good job.

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 09 Aug 2018 14:43 #788543

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Simple Green will accelerate flash rust.
Mineral spirits will leave an oily residue.
Denatured alcohol should be fine.
Chlorinated brake cleaner is also good, but not to breathe or get on your skin.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 09 Aug 2018 15:35 #788553

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Wax and grease remover is the stuff...www.amazon.com/Kleanstrip-Prep-All-Greas...GSW362/dp/B008QDSVPE

Kleenstrip Etch and Prep is phosphoric acid and great to remove rust from steel parts if you can't sandblast. It will clean the metal and etch it for painting too. Great stuff. Available at Home Depot.

Last edit: by Nessism.

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 09 Aug 2018 16:53 #788563

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
Oh okay! Great! Thanks guys. I did have one question regarding the wire wheel. It seems to smooth things out and make it a dull shine. After I clean it will the paint adhere correctly?

Or do I need to get all that sand blasted? Cuz I know a guy who has one I just hate to bother him.

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 09 Aug 2018 17:23 #788565

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Phosphoric acid remove the rust and zinc plated the iron surface.
It´s the same chemistry like a fuel tank rust removal.
But you have to degrease first to get a maximum effect.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 10 Aug 2018 04:31 #788597

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659

JohnLuke wrote: Oh okay! Great! Thanks guys. I did have one question regarding the wire wheel. It seems to smooth things out and make it a dull shine. After I clean it will the paint adhere correctly?

Or do I need to get all that sand blasted? Cuz I know a guy who has one I just hate to bother him.

Use the Etch and Prep after wheeling. It will etch the surface and make it ready for paint.

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 10 Aug 2018 07:34 #788609

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
Oh okay! Great!

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 10 Aug 2018 19:20 #788646

• ajsfirehawk
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 89

Nessism wrote: Wax and grease remover is the stuff...www.amazon.com/Kleanstrip-Prep-All-Greas...GSW362/dp/B008QDSVPE

Kleenstrip Etch and Prep is phosphoric acid and great to remove rust from steel parts if you can't sandblast. It will clean the metal and etch it for painting too. Great stuff. Available at Home Depot.

I'm with Nessism here. When you use the wax and grease remover, wipe it on and then wipe it off while it is still wet. I left it to air dry and I got what looked like beer bubbles coming up in the 2K clear. I checked with their tech support. Wipe it on, and wipe it dry with a clean cloth. Works really well.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 10 Aug 2018 23:32 #788657

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
Alrighty then! I got the Kleen Strip and all the blasted parts. I did notice on the frame there were some places the guy missed or it didn’t come off. It’s only in a few places on the various brackets and stuff. Is it the something I can wire wheel and then use Kleen Strip to etch the metal?

Is that okay? Or should I just leave it the way it is. Meaning that the primer will have no problem adhering.

Thanks!

How to clean frame, wheels and miscellaneous parts before I paint. 11 Aug 2018 08:43 #788678

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
Or could I just scuff that area with 220 and then clean degrease it?

Thanks!

• Page: