Duplicolor Black Chrome?

More
27 Dec 2017 13:30 #776655 by RLBuddi
Duplicolor Black Chrome? was created by RLBuddi
Anyone ever use Duplicolor Black Chrome? If so, what are your thoughts? Family heard I was painting my bike and got this as a gift. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2017 14:42 #776659 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Duplicolor Black Chrome?
When you do decide to paint...post a photo of the results. Kawasaki used to use a Black Chrome nickel-based process for some of their models...except for very small batches, the process has been banned by the EPA. It would be nice if the process could be visually replicated by using a rattle can.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
27 Dec 2017 14:47 #776660 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Duplicolor Black Chrome?
The black chrome used on the Gpz550 grab rail and exhaust seemed tougher than any other finish on any other part of the bike. I think the plastic parts would rust before the grab rail.

It would be interesting to see how a spray-on version looks and holds up. I've used spray-on silver chrome and it got over-spray on everything... pretty messy. It also did not really look like chrome, but was a decent shiny silver finish.

More
27 Dec 2017 16:01 #776661 by RLBuddi
Replied by RLBuddi on topic Duplicolor Black Chrome?

loudhvx wrote: The black chrome used on the Gpz550 grab rail and exhaust seemed tougher than any other finish on any other part of the bike. I think the plastic parts would rust before the grab rail.

It would be interesting to see how a spray-on version looks and holds up. I've used spray-on silver chrome and it got over-spray on everything... pretty messy. It also did not really look like chrome, but was a decent shiny silver finish.

Yes, I will post pics of my results. The way it sounds, is that it's just a really glossy shiny black, comparative to others. In the process of building a small make-shift paint booth inside my buddy's garage. I'm excited.

More
27 Dec 2017 16:12 #776662 by RLBuddi
Replied by RLBuddi on topic Duplicolor Black Chrome?
I'm undecided as to whether I should paint gold first (for pin-striping reasons), then black chrome, ....or paint the burgundy/wine color first, mask off then shoot black, which then I would use 3M gold pin-stripes before Spraymax 2K clear.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.