Type of surface.

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
05 Dec 2017 11:24 #775600 by gordone
Type of surface. was created by gordone
I`m going to paint some parts, but I need to figure out what surface they have first. I have found company who remove chrome with acid, so the parts who has chrome surface will I remove the chrome before priming.

The problem is, I`m not sure what differnet parts is...

temp.dynamitt.net/div/MC/surface/covers/
Is these pure ALU and not chrome etc... ?
If it`S pure ALU can I just sand it and use a primer, but it`s chrome will I deliver it to a company who can remove it, but for me it looks like to be pure ALU?
When I try to make a scratch, it`s easy (the surface is not hard).

temp.dynamitt.net/div/MC/surface/calipers/
What about the surface on the brake calipers???
You can see that they have been polish look, but something on the surface is flaking....
Is these chrome? Do you think these will go off under normal sand blasting and don`t need acid?

temp.dynamitt.net/div/MC/surface/div/
Div parts.. hehe
temp.dynamitt.net/div/MC/surface/div/01.JPG
NUmber on the parts:
1 - These is chrome?
2 - These is chrome?
3 - These is chrome ?
4 - These is chrome?
5 - These is chrome?
6 - ???
7 - ???
8 - ???
9 - ????

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2017 13:15 #775604 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Type of surface.
Sandblast everything, even the chrome plated parts. Sandblasting with aluminum oxide will give the chrome plates parts enough tooth to accept paint pretty well so no big worry. Use a high quality two part epoxy primer, or go straight to powder coat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
05 Dec 2017 13:32 - 05 Dec 2017 13:34 #775606 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic Type of surface.

Nessism wrote: Sandblast everything, even the chrome plated parts. Sandblasting with aluminum oxide will give the chrome plates parts enough tooth to accept paint pretty well so no big worry. Use a high quality two part epoxy primer, or go straight to powder coat.

I think I will get problem to purchase aluminum oxide, must use sand.
1. I understand the engine covers and the brake caliper is ALU, so I can blast them with sand?
2. Then you have all the other parts of steel with chrome, can I sandblast and use 2k epoxy primer?
I guess I will get best result by removing the chrome, sand blast and then prime them.... ?

Project:
Last edit: 05 Dec 2017 13:34 by gordone.

More
05 Dec 2017 13:47 #775608 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Type of surface.
Sand? Are you blasting outside? Sand is silica and not good to blast with because you should not breath the dust. If you have a blast cabinet then purchase some proper aluminum oxide blast media. You can even use crushed glass, although it's not the best for the chrome parts. Glass bead is good for prepping parts but it's not very aggressive.

After blasting then 2k epoxy primer is good. Again, you don't need to remove the chrome as long as you blast to give the metal some texture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Dec 2017 01:53 #775631 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic Type of surface.

Nessism wrote: Sand? Are you blasting outside? Sand is silica and not good to blast with because you should not breath the dust. If you have a blast cabinet then purchase some proper aluminum oxide blast media. You can even use crushed glass, although it's not the best for the chrome parts. Glass bead is good for prepping parts but it's not very aggressive.

After blasting then 2k epoxy primer is good. Again, you don't need to remove the chrome as long as you blast to give the metal some texture.

The orginal plan was just to blast sand outside, but I think I can get access to a cabinet.
It`s look like I will get problem to access aluminum oxide.....

1. Will it work with sand on every part mention above?

2. Will it work with 2k primer and paint + 2k top coat on the brake calipers also?

Project: