Clear coat for aluminum?

More
01 Oct 2017 08:56 - 01 Oct 2017 08:57 #772093 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic Clear coat for aluminum?

Nessism wrote: And speaking of what kind of coating...

Anyone know what sort of paint Kawasaki used on the engine? Several of the engine castings were painted before machining, and there is paint on areas that are inside the engine yet whatever coating they used, it never chips or peels. Amazing paint...whatever it is.

I don't know the original engine paint, but I have been using the (500 degree) high temp aluminum engine paint. It does seem to match pretty close, but I did notice that after a few years, is does seem to discolor towards yellowing tint.. ( the best description I can think of). The 2000 degree paint is too "powdery" and dull for my taste.

My forks were horrific when I restored Kz1000 #2, so I stripped off the original clear, wet sanded with 600 grit, then polished them on my bench polisher. They looked oh so good with no coating.. but I wanted to keep them looking good, so I used the polyurethane wheel clear on them. It dulled the finish a bit, but after 3 years of neglect they still look great.

The motor cleaned up sitting in my LR, next to the TV, right where it belings. :-)

The front forks during bike assembly. I thought I had some pics of them up close, but I can't find it.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Oct 2017 08:57 by old_kaw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2017 10:13 - 01 Oct 2017 10:15 #772098 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Clear coat for aluminum?
Many years ago I read a article in one of the bike mags and they said the only clear coat they found for alum that never chips, holds up to heat or yellows was made by Yamaha ...... they gave the legit part number and my dealer ordered it but after checking for months and months with em it never came in so I gave up and forgot about till as of late. Have goggled it (can't find the # anymore) but thinking they might have stopped making it...... Clear on my forks still looks pretty good and clear seems to be thicker than a spray on but a few slight spots are showing up under neath ...... Damn you Ed how can we ever compete.:lol:

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2017 10:15 by KZB2 650.

More
01 Oct 2017 14:48 #772118 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clear coat for aluminum?
:lol: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)