Help!

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2017 12:35 - 21 Jul 2017 12:38 #767452 by JWKZ750
Help! was created by JWKZ750
I rarely leave my 1977 KZ750B TWIN on the street, but i did and someone knocked it off the kickstand. All is fine but the left hand side mirror shattered. I ordered a replacement off ebay and its not the same. The mirror bracket and stem are fine. The glass shattered. Does anyone know of anyone that sells the lens and gasket itself? or an OEM replacement? I really want to keep the bike stock and my options are to have glass cut to put in the old mirror bracket or find a new/old OEM LH side mirror.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jul 2017 12:38 by JWKZ750.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2017 13:39 #767453 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Help!
Take the entire mirror to a glass shop. They can cut you a new mirror and glue it in. Should cost you less than $20. Alternatively, you can cut a template of the mirror from the card board from a cereal box. To make that template it helps to have the broken pieces of the mirror. If you don't have the pieces it takes a bit of trail an error. With the template you can have the mirror cut and glue it in yourself. You need the correct kind of glue however. Some glue types will cause the silver to come off the mirror.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2017 14:03 #767457 by JWKZ750
Replied by JWKZ750 on topic Help!

jakedude wrote: Take the entire mirror to a glass shop. They can cut you a new mirror and glue it in. Should cost you less than $20. Alternatively, you can cut a template of the mirror from the card board from a cereal box. To make that template it helps to have the broken pieces of the mirror. If you don't have the pieces it takes a bit of trail an error. With the template you can have the mirror cut and glue it in yourself. You need the correct kind of glue however. Some glue types will cause the silver to come off the mirror.

Thanks for responding. Im going to do exactly that. I live in NYC so a proper glass shop wont be hard to find

More
21 Jul 2017 17:58 #767465 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Help!
Before trying to replace it, I would check the original mirror to see if it is convex or flat. If it's convex and you replace it with a flat mirror you will see the difference every time you look into it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Jul 2017 04:54 #767476 by JWKZ750
the original mirror shattered into a million pieces. cant tell. the replacement i got off ebay that said it was original, isnt. the stem bend is about 1.5 inches too short and the mirror made objects look way too close. thankfully it was only $12 so no real loss there

More
22 Jul 2017 07:42 #767481 by 650ed
Take a look at the mirror on the other side of the handlebars. If it is convex they both should be convex. Ed

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
23 Jul 2017 01:18 #767518 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Help!
I looked up one of the mirrors for your bike and found partszilla has it in stock for around $36.00 and some change. It appears this is the same mirror used on a number of years and models.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
23 Jul 2017 05:30 #767521 by JWKZ750
Thanks. I found an original one on ebay for $17. Someone parted out a 77 and has mirrors for sale. However I think the best way forward for me now is to take the mirror housing to a glass cutter and get the glass cut.

More
23 Jul 2017 06:18 - 23 Jul 2017 06:20 #767522 by 650ed
In the beginning of this thread you stated:

"I really want to keep the bike stock and my options are to have glass cut to put in the old mirror bracket or find a new/old OEM LH side mirror."

Now you state:

" I think the best way forward for me now is to take the mirror housing to a glass cutter and get the glass cut."

If your first statement is true why would you consider replacing the convex mirror with a flat one that not only will not look stock but also will not provide the same margin of safety as the original? Obviously it's your bike so you can do whatever you want, but your choice seems to conflict with your first statement. Ed

Last edit: 23 Jul 2017 06:20 by 650ed.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Jul 2017 06:56 #767524 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Help!
I doubt it would matter much maybe be even better.B)
Steve

More
23 Jul 2017 07:57 #767531 by 650ed

SWest wrote: I doubt it would matter much maybe be even better.B)
Steve

I'm pretty sure the reason for convex mirrors is to give the rider a wider view of traffic behind and around the bike since this can help the rider from being hit by another vehicle. When it comes to doing that a flat mirror cannot compete. Even car makers take advantage of the properties of convex mirrors to improve safety. Ed

The following user(s) said Thank You: old greek

More
23 Jul 2017 08:37 - 23 Jul 2017 08:39 #767536 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Help!
By Z1Driver: I looked up one of the mirrors for your bike and found partszilla has it in stock for around $36.00 and some change. It appears this is the same mirror used on a number of years and models.

Partzilla's parts availability info isn't always correct. It's doubtful that they would have something like an old mirror.

Best bet is to find good condition or nos mirrors on eebbaayy. Mirrors are one of those things in which oem is preferable.
I have 5 good sets of mirrors for my 81 650, including 2 nos sets. spares are handy in case one gets broken & the extras
can be sold at a latter date if need be. :)
Last edit: 23 Jul 2017 08:39 by martin_csr.