Any luck with store-bought brat seats for a kz650?

More
07 Mar 2017 18:25 - 07 Mar 2017 18:25 #756102 by aenikolopov
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHi. I've got a 1980 KZ650F1. King/Queen saddle. As part of a slow and late conversion, I'd like to put a brat-style seat on it. My question is whether it is possible to do a decent job of this using the premade seats one sees online. For example, from ebay: . In particular, the frame of the 650 around the seat area is hot dead flat, but rather has a curve to it. Should I assume,e that none of these will work and that I should go straight to custom manufacture? Is there another company that sells something that does actually nicely fit a KZ? With respect to frame/seat length - i haven't cut the bike up at all, but I can do that and expect to have a seat that will need me to cut and weld a loop
Last edit: 07 Mar 2017 18:25 by aenikolopov.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rattyblack650
  • User
  • 78 kz650 sr
More
17 Mar 2017 14:02 #756940 by Rattyblack650
Replied by Rattyblack650 on topic Any luck with store-bought brat seats for a kz650?
I used a old skateboard and carefully used the stock seat cover.
Looks great with no sewing involved

Of course I'm just a guy on a budget so it's not high end but gives the look decent.

I bet one of those dime city cycle seats would do good. Go to google and type in upswept brat seat dcc

Another option that would be more cafe but keeping stock parts is, remove that old nasty seat foam in your stock seat and replace with thinner foam or old yoga matt.
Then it'll fit and latch like stock

Here's my backyard build

78 kz650 sr (ratty edition!)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
18 Mar 2017 22:03 #757088 by dlprs12
I just went through this with my 750. When I took my seat down to the seat pan, I noticed it was rusted through pretty badly and the hooks that hold the leather were mostly shot. So I looked EVERYWHERE! I found a place/guy called Texavina. Makes aftermarket seats using copies of the stock seat pan. I ordered a "cafe" ish seat for mine and really like it. Haven't got to take it for any rides yet due to snow, but it looks great. Seems like it'll be comfortable. More pricey than amazon/ eBay universals but I think its worth every penny. All the mounting hardware works the same way.

"I'm new! I'm new! I don't know what to do!!"
~Joe Dirte'

~83 KZ750 LTD~
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1