anyone have experience w repro painted body sets

More
27 Dec 2016 17:43 #750806 by KZ802
Hi All,
I just ordered a reproduction Z1 painted body set from Z1Enterprises. I'm very excited and I hope it will force me to do everything else I need to do to get this bike going...I'm just wondering what experience people have had with these? Have you had to mess with fitment? Anyone clear coat over the existing finish or is it ok as is? etc. etc.

1980 KZ750 LTDx2
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900 A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2016 10:39 #750822 by Mcdroid
I think you'll be pleased. Many of us have purchased these sets. You could have also gone a different route and had them painted by Paintworkz...a member of KZR...a superior product.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
28 Dec 2016 13:53 #750833 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic anyone have experience w repro painted body sets

This is a set I bought about 7-8 years ago from Z1 enterprizes. No problems at all.
Attachments:

More
28 Dec 2016 14:17 #750835 by KZ802
I think you'll be pleased. Many of us have purchased these sets. You could have also gone a different route and had them painted by Paintworkz...a member of KZR...a superior product.[/quote]

I have seen the stuff Paintworkz does. It looks amazing and I am sure it is a superior product, but I would think that you pay for it as well. I have seen some of his stuff on ebay for double what I paid for the set I ordered, but if I had the money I would go that route.

1980 KZ750 LTDx2
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900 A

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
29 Dec 2016 06:02 #750859 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic anyone have experience w repro painted body sets

KZ802 wrote: I think you'll be pleased. Many of us have purchased these sets. You could have also gone a different route and had them painted by Paintworkz...a member of KZR...a superior product.

I have seen the stuff Paintworkz does. It looks amazing and I am sure it is a superior product, but I would think that you pay for it as well. I have seen some of his stuff on ebay for double what I paid for the set I ordered, but if I had the money I would go that route.[/quote]

Ralph at Paintworkz is the King of Superior Painting and Color Matching Supplies ;)

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
29 Dec 2016 07:19 - 29 Dec 2016 07:27 #750865 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic anyone have experience w repro painted body sets

Attachment 347(2).JPG not found

It looks amazing and I am sure it is a superior product, but I would think that you pay for it as well. I have seen some of his stuff on ebay for double what I paid for the set ...

A lot of the mega costs of a pro paintjob aren't really 'value added' , as in spending hours prepping rusty old dented tanks and cracked plastics, just about getting them back to where they should have been in the first place. Having new plastic and steel to paint makes things a lot easier, assuming minimal primer filling surface prep.

That's why anyone contemplating a pro paintjob should source the very best body parts to start with, filler skims can sink and plastic cracks re-apper over the years. Also it will actually work out cheaper and the painter will be happier .

Adding more clear coats is possible, but only when it is fully hardened, even with 2k products this can take weeks if not oven baked. Also you'd need to 'key' the surface and degrease. Do a bit in an unseen place first of all to check for reaction problems...these can come back and bite a year or more later.

Don't assume more clear = deeper finish

Attachment 060.JPG not found

edit GSX 1100 tank had 20 coats of clear, difficult to capture it in a picture. R.I.P. 'The Painkiller' bike.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Dec 2016 07:27 by Tyrell Corp.

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
31 Dec 2016 00:06 #750995 by Z1Driver
I have the same body set on my 75. The tank edges chip rather easily so be careful when mounting or removing the tank.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadKaw500

More
31 Dec 2016 06:11 #750997 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic anyone have experience w repro painted body sets
You can't beat the bang for the buck on the repro sets. Fit is just like original. The plastic parts look original, but the tank sheet metal does not....on the last one I painted the seams were machine welded like a KZ tank and the neck opening was larger like a KZ. This is not a big deal on some bikes, but looks real bad on a full show resto. Colors are close enough, no reason to add extra clear.

Currently I am not doing Z1 paint jobs, just working on my own projects.......but I am still selling the paint.

Happy New Years!

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadKaw500, Street Fighter LTD