Engine Paint Questions

More
09 May 2016 09:03 #725331 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic Engine Paint Questions

wrenchmonkey wrote: Hey Brett,

I just recently completed a move too. Same thing. I'm happy for the bigger garage but it's hectic getting through the move, all the while your life is in boxes here ... or are the boxes over there? :angry: Moving turns simple tasks like getting dressed or making coffee a challenge when you realize your (thing needed now) is at a different address already. Well, that sucks. Guess I'll be wearing sandals to work today! :laugh:

As for the engine paint. Most auto parts stores carry High Temp and also Very High Temp paint. They almost all have the basic colors of black, blue, orange etc as they're made for engines. I'm not 100% if they have different finishes like matte, satin, gloss but the paint is way more budget friendly. I mean, the paint I just bought for KZombie is about $30 per can and that blue was one of the lessor priced colors. I was ogling a gold - pagan gold by HoK and it was $90 a can. :blink:

I've used High Temp paints on engines before and had great results. I remember now the last time I used it was semi-gloss and I also used it [ on the mag wheels to touch-up stone chips ] . Same dealio - spray where you can, spray into cup and brush-on where you cannot. Oh. Here's an example of what I have used before: [ Semi Gloss Engine Paint ] . A little more budget friendly to keep your ride looking good while you're still riding it.

Hey Wrench,

Yeah the move is a total bear and since we are still at the old place 1 more week (May 14th the Saturday we move and do the final push and start living at the new house) we are dealing with that exact problem of not having everything we need in each house and being halfway in and out :pinch:

Nearly wrapped up though and can start to recover and let the body heal once this darned move is done. Been hell on the genetic degenerative conditions that I have, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

As for the Duple-Color engine enamel I have actually used that a few times before when I was doing my Camaro build. I had OK results with it, but to be honest that was back when I was 15-16 years old and I can promise you that I did not do the same level of prep and clean up that I do with the diligence and attention to detail that I do now at 28, so that could be a big difference and deal maker there too.

Thanks,
Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2016 10:18 #725344 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Engine Paint Questions
Ha! I was just thinking about that the other week when I was painting my disks. In all,with the cleaning and roughing up and masking and reading the labels on the can,It took the best part of half a day. I remember thinking, on my first bike when I was a teenager,it would have taken me 10 minutes! Degreasing! Whats that? Instructions! Yeah,Yeah. Press the button and paint comes out! Job done!!
The older we get,the Yoda we get!

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
09 May 2016 10:39 #725348 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic Engine Paint Questions

davido wrote: Ha! I was just thinking about that the other week when I was painting my disks. In all,with the cleaning and roughing up and masking and reading the labels on the can,It took the best part of half a day. I remember thinking, on my first bike when I was a teenager,it would have taken me 10 minutes! Degreasing! Whats that? Instructions! Yeah,Yeah. Press the button and paint comes out! Job done!!
The older we get,the Yoda we get!

Hahaha so so true, funny how things change with just a bit of time, experience and lessons learned! Reminds me of any old saying about how when you are a kid your parents are the smartest people and wisest, get a bit older and a teenager and suddenly they are "idiots" who don't know anything and you already have all the answers, then get to be a real adult with a family yourself again and suddenly your parents once again are the smartest people who know everything again :P As a teen I agree I already "knew everything" and didn't have to bother with those silly inconsequential things like proper prep work, time intensive but worthwhile masking, cleaning etc. Now as an adult I can't explain to the younger than me generation when I work with them to try to teach and help and they look at me like I have horns growing out of my head. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

More
18 Aug 2016 00:33 - 18 Aug 2016 00:38 #739080 by mjg15
Replied by mjg15 on topic Engine Paint Questions

SEM Hot Rod Black works great. It's catalyzed urethane, resists heat and chemicals well, and has held up for quite a while on my 550

'80 Z750fx
'81 KZ550A
'81 GPz550's, Too many!
'82 KZ1000R
'82 GPz750
'90 ZR550

Project photo album: s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...GPz-ZR550%20project/
s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...current=DSC01286.jpg
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Aug 2016 00:38 by mjg15.