Removing a rattle can paint job??

More
28 Dec 2015 05:35 #704615 by DK900
Removing a rattle can paint job?? was created by DK900
I just got a 76 KZ900 back that I had many years ago. The last guy that had it did a rattle can paint job over the original paint with no prep other than washing. He just bought spray paint at the store so I'm not sure what it is.

Prior to him getting the bike the original paint wasn't in bad shape. I think I saw somewhere that I can possibly remove this mess without destroying the original paint? Any ideas on what I can use to achieve this? And would I use the same thing on the plastic parts as the tank?

It's my understanding the original paint is lacquer, so I would think lacquer thinner would destroy it?

Thanks for any help.

1976 KZ900-A4
1995 FLTCU Tourglide

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2015 07:49 #704625 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Removing a rattle can paint job??
You may want to try removing the spray paint using gasoline in a small spot in an unnoticeable area. Some spray paints can be removed using gas, but gas normally won't damage original paint as long is you don't leave it on there for extended periods. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Dec 2015 10:42 #704638 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Removing a rattle can paint job??

DK900 wrote: I just got a 76 KZ900 back that I had many years ago. The last guy that had it did a rattle can paint job over the original paint with no prep other than washing. He just bought spray paint at the store so I'm not sure what it is.

Prior to him getting the bike the original paint wasn't in bad shape. I think I saw somewhere that I can possibly remove this mess without destroying the original paint? Any ideas on what I can use to achieve this? And would I use the same thing on the plastic parts as the tank?

It's my understanding the original paint is lacquer, so I would think lacquer thinner would destroy it?

Thanks for any help.

The original paint is not lacquer. It's some some of baked/catalyzed enamel. I seriously doubt you will be able to get the rattle can paint off the tank without damage to the paint underneath. I'd go straight to the paint stripper and take the tank down to bare metal.

More
28 Dec 2015 10:46 #704640 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Removing a rattle can paint job??
Or spend a little extra money and take it somewhere to have it bead blasted...reprime, using higher quality paint and fuel proof catalyzed urethane clear.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
28 Dec 2015 11:30 #704643 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Removing a rattle can paint job??
No stripper on the plastic.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
28 Dec 2015 13:51 #704659 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Removing a rattle can paint job??
My guess is that the tank was sanded or scuffed before repainting and the original paint is not salvageable,
but using a little gasoline to melt the top layer of paint is a good way to see what you've got.

If the original paint is trashed I would use Airplane stripper, you can find it at an auto parts store.
Serious stuff B)

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:

More
29 Dec 2015 07:26 #704740 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Removing a rattle can paint job??
If the rattle can was done recently, within a few months or so, it can probably be done.

Like Ed said, gasoline will take off fresh rattle-can paint very easily...not sure if it's because of the alcohol in the gas, or the gas itself, or some other chemical in the gas.

More
29 Dec 2015 09:15 #704765 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Removing a rattle can paint job??
Like said before it almost had of been sanded though for the pant to stick but won't hurt to try.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
More
29 Dec 2015 15:51 #704820 by seanbarney41
Replied by seanbarney41 on topic Removing a rattle can paint job??
Whatever you use to get the rattlecan off will most likely damage the original paint somehat. That said, the damaged original very well may still look better/cooler than the undamaged rattle can...patina is "in"

Recently acquired this chevy van and discovered a cool custom stripe underneath the brainless black primer
[img
DSCN0734 by Sean Barney , on Flickr
I used acetone and an sos pad to get the primer off. And obviously removed some of the custom stuff too...still pretty ugly but at least it has some style. :blink: :blush: :P

More
29 Dec 2015 16:31 #704827 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic Removing a rattle can paint job??
Since the original factory paint was not sanded to prep for the rattle can redo, it might wash off with gas....just test a small area like the bottom of a side cover.....let gas wet the area for awhile to soften it. If the rattle can paint is thin with no clear or primer used, you might able to rub it off with compound. My understanding is the factory paint was a type of lacquer not used in the US. Some of the Honda factory paint from the 70's acts like enamel, but Kawasaki paint acts like lacquer. I think there seems to be enough factory clear on the parts to allow a bit of rubbing out by hand without going thru the clear........just be careful on the pinstripe decals on the tail.....usually not as much clear as on the tank

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
30 Dec 2015 01:43 #704852 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Removing a rattle can paint job??
On my 78 a2a built in Nebraska the side covers and tail have "Made In U.S.A"cast into them.
Wouldn't that mean that they where painted here too?

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
30 Dec 2015 10:21 #704917 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic Removing a rattle can paint job??
Yes if it is a made in US bike, yes the paint would be done here.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58