preventing frame rust while stripping paint

More
14 Nov 2015 19:15 #698700 by blink543
I have the frame in my basement and Im using aircraft stripper to remove the paint I'm noticing very light light rust type spotting on the metal? Also how quick could the frame start rusting without paint on it? Should I do this quickly?

Adam james
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2015 22:00 #698705 by davido
Replied by davido on topic preventing frame rust while stripping paint
I wouldnt worry about it. Youll need to wash the frame anyway to get rid of all the paint stripper and whatever else. Thatll produce more (flash?) rust but itll come off easy enough when youre preparing for paint.
Though maybe you need to think about paiting somewhere else. If youre inside and getting rust while stripping,it must be damp. Not the best place to paint

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
15 Nov 2015 01:09 #698707 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic preventing frame rust while stripping paint

davido wrote: I wouldnt worry about it. Youll need to wash the frame anyway to get rid of all the paint stripper and whatever else. Thatll produce more (flash?) rust but itll come off easy enough when youre preparing for paint.
Though maybe you need to think about paiting somewhere else. If youre inside and getting rust while stripping,it must be damp. Not the best place to paint

Well I moved it to the garage again. Its cold but probably not as much humidity. Since its cold now and we're running the humidifier now inside. I'm thinking of getting a dremel with a brush head to get the paint off quicker the frame paint is really difficult to get off

Adam james

More
15 Nov 2015 03:00 #698709 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic preventing frame rust while stripping paint
I applaud your desire to do the work yourself but properly stripping a frame for repainting requires some media blasting. If you aren't set up for this sort of work it may be easier to just pay someone to do it for you.

When doing my frame I started with paint stripper, followed by a mineral spirits wash to remove the stripper. The stripper removes the paint for the most part but there is remnants in all the nooks and crannies like underneath the head stock.

Next I used phosphate solution to remove most of the surface rust. You have to keep the frame wet for some time to allow the sauce to work, followed by a water rinse.

I then use a wire wheel on my buffer motor to remove remaining paint and rust. This worked well but again, you can't get into all the corners.

Last thing I did was media blast using coal slag. This media doesn't give off harmful dust, unlike sand which releases silica dust. The main thing with blasting at this point is to get all those deep crevices that I couldn't reach previously, and give the metal some roughness so the paint will stick.

This whole process is a LOT of work. I don't recommend it unless 1) you are a masochist, and 2) have the equipment.

Paying someone to blast and powder coat is a bargin in the end compared to what it takes to do the job right by yourself.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
15 Nov 2015 03:15 #698711 by davido
Replied by davido on topic preventing frame rust while stripping paint
No its not easy and not fun. The best bet is to take it somewhere and get it blasted but if youre doing it yourself,paint stripper is pretty much your only choice.
I did mine last summer with paint stripper. I couldnt get everything off in one go so I went over it a couple of times. I got most of it off but using stripper and a scrapper you get strips or lines of old undercoat left behind.I went over everything with a wire brush and a sander afterwards. There were some bits I just couldnt get to with anything but they were pretty much out of sight anyway (up inside where the frame rails meet the back of the headstock for example). Theres only so far you can go.Just do the best you can.
Most important thing that I can tell you is that when you are finished,take it to the car wash and blast the shit out of it with a power washer. You want to get every last hint of paint stripper off it before you even think of putting new paint on. Also if you have thin/weak areas in the tubing the power washer can open up holes,which sounds bad but is good if you think about it.
Good luck with it.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
15 Nov 2015 06:26 #698742 by blink543
Yeah I'm gonna call a paint shop. The paint is stubborn

Adam james

More
18 Nov 2015 22:31 #699301 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic preventing frame rust while stripping paint
Ive always used a carwash when using paint stripper on bike frames.
Then drag it home and blow it off really good and start hitting every inch of the frame with sand paper to rough it up,wipe it all down with thinner and prime it.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
19 Nov 2015 03:11 - 19 Nov 2015 03:12 #699312 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic preventing frame rust while stripping paint
I used wire wheels and wire brushes to take off all the loose paint .
Then I used a small(paint) brush and painted rustoleum on all the welds
Then I sprayed it with VHT roll bar and chassis paint as per OMR's sugestion
and let it cure for a week before rebuilding, The VHT has a slow cure rate but is very durable.
4 years and around 35,000 miles later and still holding up well B)

www.vhtpaint.com/products/rollbarchassis/

Blasted my sons frame with Black Diamond, much easier :laugh:

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 19 Nov 2015 03:12 by bluej58.

More
19 Nov 2015 09:34 #699386 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic preventing frame rust while stripping paint

bluej58 wrote: I used wire wheels and wire brushes to take off all the loose paint .
Then I used a small(paint) brush and painted rustoleum on all the welds
Then I sprayed it with VHT roll bar and chassis paint as per OMR's sugestion
and let it cure for a week before rebuilding, The VHT has a slow cure rate but is very durable.
4 years and around 35,000 miles later and still holding up well B)

www.vhtpaint.com/products/rollbarchassis/

Blasted my sons frame with Black Diamond, much easier :laugh:

VHT also makes an Epoxy Paint, that is salt & rust resistant, that I used on my pitted & corroded wheels, It's also self priming, so no primer needed
I used a flap wheel in a 1/2 inch drill to get them as smooth as possible, then cleaned with Simple Green then brake cleaner before painting
before

after

Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
Attachments:

More
19 Nov 2015 09:39 #699387 by 650ed
Amazing!!!! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: pete greek1

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
19 Nov 2015 13:21 #699428 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic preventing frame rust while stripping paint
You can have it blasted with media. About $50 were I deal with. That is stripped mostly, just the fine area's.
But after, if you can get some "phosphoric acid powder". This will seal out rust for about 1 - 2 weeks. Mixed with water in a spray bottle.
I ordered it at work in a 55 gallon drum for the Boiler room. The Stationary engineer used it in the boilers for the heat system.
I am sure it is hard to get but, do you know anyone that works in a big factory or a multi unit building? Get you a small amount.
Mix with water and use a spray bottle. At least, this is what I do.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
19 Nov 2015 19:00 #699484 by blink543
I took my frame and parts to a powder coating place it should be done next week. It will save me loads of time

Adam james